cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Edit Bounce Profile

Greg Muszynski
Level 1
Level 1

We have no idea what is formatting our Hard Bounce and Delay Warning Messages, I mean I know where to go to set this up: Network \ Bounce Profiles, however these settings are not taking

In other words our Send Hard Bounce Messages look nothing like the System Generated template, even the Subjects of the notification messages don't match what we have defined in this section and what the users actually receive 

and our Send Delay Warning Messages look nothing like the Message_Delayed template, not even the Subjects match

any idea where these settings can be coming from, we checked our Message Filters and it is not them either

3 Replies 3

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It's hard to tell without knowing the bounce message; however, you perhaps may need to also assign your configured Bounce Profile to the Listener(s). This would be under Network --> Listener --> Select Listener --> Select Bounce Profile --> Submit --> Commit (This would be for anything incoming to the ESA). For outgoing, you would need to set this under Mail Policies --> Destination Controls. 

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Thank you Dennis, yes we have our Custom Bounce Profile assigned to both the Inbound and Outbound listeners, I should have mentioned that. Can you explain what you mean by what you mean by incoming to the ESA and outgoing please? I always struggle with that since in my mind I think of as my employees sending out ie outgoing and people from the Internet sending in as in incoming, however they both send in (my employees and Internet people) and they both send out (my employees to the Internet ie IronPort to the Internet) and (Internet people to my employees ie IronPort to Exchange) I bet I just confused all you readers, ha ha - but think about it, it's all relative to IronPort

Thanks for confirming. Personally, when I say Inbound/Incoming vs. Outbound/Outgoing, I am talking from the perspective of the ESA itself.

You can think of it this way...

Gmail --> (Incoming) ESA --> (Outgoing) Exchange

Exchange --> (Incoming) ESA --> (Outgoing) Gmail

So, anything coming into the ESA is considered incoming mail, whether that is coming in from your internal Exchange/SMTP server or coming in from the outside from say Gmail. 

Anything that is sitting on the ESA itself pending delivery, is considered to be outgoing email. Essentially, that is from the ESA outgoing to your Exchange/SMTP server or from the ESA outgoing to Gmail.

Regarding how these differ relating to the configuration ...Incoming is configured via Listeners and Outgoing is configured via Destination Controls. 

Thanks!

-Dennis M.