cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Email not coming through encrypted

RaeLee_PS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! The company I do contract work for emails me with "secure" in the subject line and it used to come through encrypted where I would need to sign into Cisco to retrieve the files.  Recently it has stopped requiring me to and it just allows me to download straight from the email.  I am guessing this means they are not encrypted.  These files are also sent to another contractor who DOES still receive them encrypted.  Any ideas?  My email is msn based and the other contractor's is Gmail, if that is pertinent info.

3 Replies 3

RaeLee_PS
Level 1
Level 1

Please, does anyone have any insight into this?

mystsite464
Level 1
Level 1

It's possible that changes in your company's email security settings or policies may have affected how encrypted emails are handled. Here are some possible explanations for the difference in your experience compared to the other contractor's:

1. **Email Service Provider Differences:** The fact that you use an MSN-based email address while the other contractor uses Gmail can indeed be pertinent. Different email providers may have different security settings and methods for handling encrypted emails. Gmail has robust encryption features, and it's possible that your company's email system interacts differently with Gmail compared to MSN-based email.

2. **Recipient's Settings:** The encryption of emails can also depend on the recipient's email client and settings. If the other contractor has specific encryption settings enabled on their Gmail account, it could explain why they receive encrypted emails while you do not.

3. **Company Policies:** Your company's IT department or email administrators may have made changes to email security policies or settings that affect how encrypted emails are handled. These changes may have inadvertently altered the encryption process for certain recipients.

4. **Email Encryption Software:** Your company may be using email encryption software or services like Cisco Email Security to send encrypted emails. If there have been updates or changes to this software, it could impact how emails are delivered and decrypted.

To resolve this issue, it's best to contact your company's IT support or email administrator. They should be able to provide you with specific information about the email encryption settings and whether any recent changes have been made. Additionally, you can inquire about any steps you can take to ensure that emails sent to you are properly encrypted if that is a requirement for your work.

It's possible that changes in your company's email security settings or policies may have affected how encrypted emails are handled. Here are some possible explanations for the difference in your experience compared to the other contractor's:

1. **Email Service Provider Differences:** The fact that you use an MSN-based email address while the other contractor uses Gmail can indeed be pertinent. Different email providers may have different security settings and methods for handling encrypted emails. Gmail has robust encryption features, and it's possible that your company's email system interacts differently with Gmail compared to MSN-based email.

2. **Recipient's Settings:** The encryption of emails can also depend on the recipient's email client and settings. If the other contractor has specific encryption settings enabled on their Gmail account, it could explain why they receive encrypted emails while you do not.

3. **Company Policies:** Your company's IT department or email administrators may have made changes to email security policies or settings that affect how encrypted emails are handled. These changes may have inadvertently altered the encryption process for certain recipients.

4. **Email Encryption Software:** Your company may be using email encryption software or services like Cisco Email Security to send encrypted emails. If there have been updates or changes to this software, it could impact how emails are delivered and decrypted.

To resolve this issue, it's best to contact your company's IT support or email administrator. They should be able to provide you with specific information about the email encryption settings and whether any recent changes have been made. Additionally, you can inquire about any steps you can take to ensure that emails sent to you are properly encrypted if that is a requirement for your work.