Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA: Block 0kb Attachments

msazonov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Can I create a message filter that will check the sizes of attachments and then drop specific files in attachments that are 0 bytes? 

All instructions that i found regarding this topic refer to CLI (which i'm unable to locate). I wanted to ask is it possible to do it using "incoming content filter" or any other ESA menu option?

2 Replies 2

No, you can’t set a filter to block zero length files...   Which seems silly… @Mathew Huynh can we get an enh request?

To enable the CLI on your ESA, go to Network/IP Interfaces, pick an interface that is enabled, and click into it.

Enable SSH, or whatever port you like… default is 22.  Submit/Commit.

Now you can connect to it using a tool like Putty (its free.   www.putty.org), and then create the message filter as you've seen documented.

Hey all,

Yes currently the rule - even if configured it won't capture the email with attachment-size set to 0 bytes.

If there is a need for this type of scanning (from memory the only 0bytes files we can generate is empty text files) then for an enhancement request to be filed - we should go through the TAC teams to share the need.

Thanks,

Mathew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: