Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA: Block 0kb Attachments

msazonov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Can I create a message filter that will check the sizes of attachments and then drop specific files in attachments that are 0 bytes? 

All instructions that i found regarding this topic refer to CLI (which i'm unable to locate). I wanted to ask is it possible to do it using "incoming content filter" or any other ESA menu option?

2 Replies 2

No, you can’t set a filter to block zero length files...   Which seems silly… @Mathew Huynh can we get an enh request?

To enable the CLI on your ESA, go to Network/IP Interfaces, pick an interface that is enabled, and click into it.

Enable SSH, or whatever port you like… default is 22.  Submit/Commit.

Now you can connect to it using a tool like Putty (its free.   www.putty.org), and then create the message filter as you've seen documented.

Hey all,

Yes currently the rule - even if configured it won't capture the email with attachment-size set to 0 bytes.

If there is a need for this type of scanning (from memory the only 0bytes files we can generate is empty text files) then for an enhancement request to be filed - we should go through the TAC teams to share the need.

Thanks,

Mathew