Helpful
Replies

ESA Cluster filters / CLI vs GUI

cyberurmel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

it would be fine to help me out to understand using filters right: 

First of all we implemented some outgoing filters via GUI which ends for mails in e.g. a quarantine. 

So as some users a very fast in fill out phishing Emails it would be fine to create some rules that the ESA stop them asap .

For that i found script as here as seen below. 

if header-repeats('subject',100,'outgoing')
{
notify('admin@xyz.com);
}

i entered this in the cli and see its active. Normally i do create a filter in the gui and apply this to a policy. How it is in this case? I cant see this filter in the gui is that really ok what i did? 

Second -- now it´s only a notify .. is it possibly to quarantine them or a specified user where such mail floods come from? 

How do you solve such issues? 

Thanks a lot for help 

Regards

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It means any subject. That rule says your box sends 100 mails out, with the same subject, over the course of an hour, it will alert you...
Eg. this tells you if one of your users might be sending out spam...

View solution in original post

Seems I steered you wrong... 

All of the examples I've seen only have one recipient.... so you need two Notify commands. 

notify('ourinternalmail@domain.com');
notify('$EnvelopeFrom');

Ken

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Hi Ken, 

thanks first of all. I have to read that because never used before. 

So -do you know if in the short script above which found on cisco pages ... is subject any subject ? Or means that i have to enter a string for a subject? But in this case i dont understand how i should know a subject ... ( user credentials have been fished) 

thanks  a lot

best regards

S

It means any subject. That rule says your box sends 100 mails out, with the same subject, over the course of an hour, it will alert you...
Eg. this tells you if one of your users might be sending out spam...

Hello Ken, 

thanks a lot for your answer. So if i understood right ..first of all i will check the functionality e.g. 100 Mails with same subject and notify as action...and if it works it should be possible to block the sender ? 

Regards

Cyb 

The rule in your post is for outbound mail... so it may be a case of talking to the user to figure out what's going on... legitimate sales email? Virus?

HI Ken, 

thanks first ... let me explain the issue : 

we see a lot of attacks in our company with fishing .. like there is an update in Office please insert your credentials ... 

and it seems someone walks for sure in this trap  

Then the see a big amount of outgoing Mails (SpAm ) and for sure after a short time we are blacklisted. So not to run in that situation my intension is to stop asap such massive mails . A email as notify is first step .. but in case that such floods are at weekend or in late night hour. 

Best would be set a border as outgoing mails via subject (normally not known) or sender  and if the limit is reached to block the sender and send the mails outgoing in a special quarantine. 

Is such a constellation possible and best practice ? 

Thanks for your advanced help 

In addition to my previos post.. i tested with 

Header_Repeat_10_info: 
if header-repeats('subject',10,'outgoing')
{
notify('xyz@xyz.com');
}

then sent a message from myself to 10 recipients with same subject.. but nothing happens ... i got no mail... could it be that i have to enter the xyz mail in alert with informational status? or why it didnt work? 

checked via sma ... no mail went out to xyz in this period

Hi Ken, 

sorry for late reply. It worked and now after testing time we are ok with that. 

But one thing perhaps you or anyone could help me :

Is it possible to  send the notify mails to the admin mail and ALSO to the Envelope Sender set as Variable 

like : notify ("abadmin@xyz.de" , "Envelope-Sender" ) ; 

Thanks and Regards

Try $EnvelopeFrom

HI Ken, 

thanks a lot . The Code was accepted, so i think it will work, but i have an eye on it. 

Best Regards

Hi Ken, 

as we noticed now it seems not to work complete. We get the infomail but not the sender ..so he is not informed that something is checked in background

notify('ourinternalmail@domain.com','$EnvelopeFrom');

do you have an idea or see an error in my code? 

Thanks a lot 

Regards 

Seems I steered you wrong... 

All of the examples I've seen only have one recipient.... so you need two Notify commands. 

notify('ourinternalmail@domain.com');
notify('$EnvelopeFrom');

Ken

Hi Ken,

thanks  a lot for your fast help! Great.. i will test it ..but i thinking it will work..

Great

Regards

Stefan

Hi Ken, 

in additional to this for us great filter, i wonder if its possible to except some mails (whitelisting) ... so if some alarm should be sent (example to a service provider for some special machines)  this wouldnt be great if they hang up in this filter. 

is that possible ? Have you an idea if so? 

Thanks a lot

Regards

Cyb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: