Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA Cluster - Reboot single appliance

slicciardola
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

since i've two ESAS joined into a cluster, which is the right procedure to reboot once at time?

i suppose:

1. disconnect cluster (clusterconfig, disconnect)

2. reboot one of them

3. when up, reboot the other one (if needed)

4. when both up reconnect cluster (clusterconfig, reconnect)

Is this the right way to proceed? 

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

You don't have to disconnect reconnect unless you're upgrading.

1. Suspend listeners, wait for work queue to get to zero
2. Reboot
3 resume listeners

Hi,

i just have to do a reboot to clear some dirty old alert messages.

Don't have to do an upgrade.

why do i have to suspend listener? and how can i suspend only one listener instead of the cluster's listener?

thanks

You suspend the listeners before you reboot the box so you don't corrupt the mail work queue.

Corrupting the work queue doesn't happen often, but if it does, you're looking at a TAC call, possibly lost mail, and lot of headache that you don't need.

You can't suspend the "cluster's listener" because the cluster doesn't have one... the listeners are on the machine... the System Administration/Suspend/Shutdown page is restricted to Machine Level.

Don't forget, "clustering" a set of ESA isn't really clustering... its "configuration replication"...

Hi,

done, one appliance ok:

suspendlistener

reboot

resumelistener

the second one

suspendlistener

reboot

NEVER REBOOTS, from gui or from cli it never reboots, any advice?

Call TAC...

They can get into the backend and figure out what's not shutting down and get it to reboot clean.

Hello Mrmcphisto,

If you have issued a reboot and it's not rebooting - as Ken shared, contacting TAC might be the best course of action.

In the event you're not able to reach TAC yet - rather than hard booting the device or so, please go to the device physically. Have your serial cable ready and connect to the serial console of the device.

Use a special diagnostic login where username is enablediag
The password is that of your 'admin' account.
This user has 5-6 commands only, most of which is for troubleshooting in the event the device is not rebooting, or responding on GUI/CLI - if you're able to login and see these prompts, use the 'reboot' option here.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Matthew