Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA [External] Email subject line tag

ivanyk79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am wondering how to test the [External] email subject line tag. Currently i have a QA environment where i created the filter to test. The only way i know to test is to use telnet to create a message using the QA ESA as the smtp server. This is fine for showing me how the external email will be tagged with  [External] in the subject line. However i wanted to know if people are using others ways to test prior to apply on the production ESA. I would like to test sending from different email addresses and replying and etc. Would this involve creating a new policy to apply then apply the filter to this new policy? In the policy i think we can select a user or group of users? Thoughts?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

marc.luescherFRE
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi there,

in short there are 3 possible ways to further test a filter:

a) insert a logging entry into your filter and check if the tag is in the mail logs

b) insert a recipient =- my email into the filter so the filter just applies to you

c) insert a LDAP group lookup or assign the filter to a test policy

More about external tagging and disclaimers on my recent blog : http://www.emailsecurityblog.info

-Marc

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply. I read your blog and like how you broke it down. I had a few questions and wondering if i could pose them to you some way?

Would this forum be the best place or do you have an alternate contact?

Thanks

Kris