Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA SPAM Message Inquiry

Mady
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We have 6 spam messages for 24 hours however when we check it on message tracking with envelope sender as our domain (ex. sampledomain.com) only 3 messages appeared and it shows below:

Sender: 1234-45678-0987-lbriley=sampledomain.com@mail.endottak.us

Recipient: lbriley@sampledomain.com

Can you explain what does lbriley=sampledomain.com at the sender? Also, why does message tracking only shows 3 instead of 6 since ESA reported that it has 6 spam messages.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mady

3 Replies 3

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mady,

Messages reported in the Overview and Incoming Mail pages are categorized as follows:

• Stopped by Reputation Filtering: All connections blocked by HAT policies multiplied by a fixed multiplier (see Notes on Counting Messages in Email Security Monitor) plus all recipients blocked by recipient throttling.
• Invalid Recipients: All recipients rejected by conversational LDAP rejection plus all RAT rejections.
• Spam Messages Detected: The total count of messages detected by the anti-spam scanning engine as positive or suspect and also those that were both spam and virus positive.
• Virus Messages Detected: The total count and percentage of messages detected as virus positive and not also spam.

Note If you have configured your anti-virus settings to deliver unscannable or encrypted messages, these messages will be counted as clean messages and not virus positive. Otherwise, the messages are counted as virus positive.

The address 1234-45678-0987-lbriley=sampledomain.com@mail.endottak.us is the envelope sender provided to the ESA by the sending server. The ESA is a relay appliance which processes the email headers as is provided so you would need to check on the sending server as to why such an email address was provided.

Thank You!
Libin Varghese

Hi Libin,

Thanks for your reply. I already checked the server which sent that email and it has poor reputation. However, I am just curious why that mail server used an email sender that seems to be from our internal domain. How do they know which users are available on our domain that they're able to use it as a spam message.

Thanks for helping me. :)

Regards,

Mady 

I've normally seen this on subscription emails or automated marketing emails which are generated as a result of URLs subscribed to by email users.

Reviewing the email content or subject should confirm this and also provide options to unsubscribe.

- Libin V