cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

finding out what item in a dictionary is firing?

ed.sherratt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an incoming content filter that is used to quarantine suspicious mails, based on Attachment name, sender, and body content dictionaries, as well as a couple of other items.

These have grown over time, particularly with the recent macro malware runs, and we've now the situation where valid mails are being captured and the default logs are not showing us why.

If it's a straightforward phrase in the body, or a sender then it's displayed in the quarantine and I can remove the offending item, if it's in the attachment then nothing .

How do I find out the particular dictionary/filter entry that is causing the capture if it's not shown on the Quarantine GUI? It's not in CLI message logs either, which just details the name of the filter or dictionary, not the individual entry.

Any help appreciated, as we're currently capturing boarding passes for JSON content for absolutely no reason I can see -  much to the disgust of users, although it's saving printer toner.

Thanks

Ed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ed,

The best way to accomplish this would be to add a filter action to add a lot entry.

Add log entry: $MatchedContent

The usage of the action variable is: Returns the content that triggered a scanning filter rule (including filter rules such as body-contains and content dictionaries).

This would work for body and attachment content matches, however sender recipient matches would need to be manually reviewed.

Thanks
Libin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ed,

The best way to accomplish this would be to add a filter action to add a lot entry.

Add log entry: $MatchedContent

The usage of the action variable is: Returns the content that triggered a scanning filter rule (including filter rules such as body-contains and content dictionaries).

This would work for body and attachment content matches, however sender recipient matches would need to be manually reviewed.

Thanks
Libin

Thank You Libin,

I'll look into this and let you know how it goes.

Regards,
Ed

Hi Again,

Thanks for that, it's not perfect as you said, but a lot better visibility than I had.

Regards,

Ed