cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I wildcard match partial email addresses?

nathan_dias
Level 1
Level 1

We frequently receive Phishing emails with sender email address of the form:  principalmail196@gmail.com

Question:   is there a way I can enter wildcards to match partial email address in a Cisco Email Security policy?

For example, I would like to block all sender email addresses of the form:   principal*@gmail.com

3 Replies 3

marc.luescherFRE
Spotlight
Spotlight

A message and a content filter will allow you to use REGEX expressions to allow or block messages by sender and recipient.

Emma Corry
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same phishing problem, but from pl***@gmail.com
But with REGEX expressions I blocked it.

svgeorgi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may want to create a new incoming mail policy which would be matched only if the sender should be blocked - in it you're defining only the senders for blocking. To this policy you can bind a content filter with no conditions, but with just a single action - drop (final action).

Later on, you can add more sender email addresses to the same policy, and they will also get blocked.

EDIT: Actually the mail policies RegEx is not that smart for that kind of wildcards, so the only way would be to use the proposed solutions above in a content filter with condition.
if mail-from == ^principal.*@gmail\\.com$

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: