cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to send a do not reply response from Ironport

Martin Keith
Level 1
Level 1

Our business Ironport appliances are set up with several domains.   We have a requirement to send a receipt message responding to certain customers who email an address on only one of the configured domains.    The receipt message needs to come from a donotreply@xxx.com address and is to confirm that the email has been received.

So far I have a notfiication template configured with the message that we want to send out, and a content filter with a condition that uses Envelope recipient to identify the address that has been emailed, and a notify action that uses the notification template to send the message out.     The problem with this is that when the customer receives the email it comes from the address ironport@hostname.     The only way I can see of changing this is to change the Notifications option under the System Admin/Return Addresses option, however this is a global change that then changes the address for all notification for all domains and for messages from the appliance itself.      If we then have a future requirement to do the same thing for a different domain we're stuck.

Can anyone suggest another way of doing this just for one domain.    I've wondering about custom message filters/text resources but don't know how to work them.

thanks

Chris

2 Replies 2

Within the Notify action on the Filter itself, you can override the Sender information that would have been populated from the Return Addresses page.  If you are using a Content Filter, this is set in the 'Return Path:' field.  For Message Filters, you would set it in the 3rd set of quotes, for example:

notify("$EnvelopeSender", "template_name", "donotreply@example.com");

The email address specified here is used as the Envelope Sender, and the From: & Reply-To: headers.

- Jackie

So simple... mind you the field is hardly self explanatory and there's not much in the manual about this. I will give it a try and see what happens. thanks Chris