Level 1

Hello,

I have the following setup:

I have four Ironport devices, with equal priority for the MX record:

10 Ironport1

10 Ironport2

10 Ironport3

10 Ironport4

Every 2 ESA appliances are connected to a switch, and every switch is on a data center, and there is no connection between the 2 switches.

Ironport 1          Ironport2               Ironport3               Ironport4

|                        |                         |                            |

-------------------------------------            -------------------------------------------

SW1                                             SW2

-------------------------------------            -------------------------------------------

|                                                   |

Mail Server1                                  Mail Server2

Now if SW1 or SW2 goes down, then the private listener (Private interface) will be down but the Ironport device will still up and recieve connections based on the MX records

How I can solve such issue, that if any SW goes down, I can report that this Ironport is totally down and reply that this MX record is down and use the next one for SMTP routing?

Apperciate your help.

Thanks.

Ahmad.

1 Reply 1

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Ahmad,

you could use SNMP to monitor the status of the interface, and send an alert if the private interface goes down.

One thing I still don't understand in your scenario though, Ironport 1 and 2 are connecting to a differnet mailserver than IronPort 3 and 4. So how would rerouting fix your problem in case on of the switches goes down?

Regards,

Andreas