Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAP Accept Query or SMTP Call-Ahead

Hello all,

We have configured LDAP Accept Queries for checking incoming mail for excisting SMTP-addresses. This is with a VPN from Cisco to our server.
I heard about the option SMTP Call-ahead, which has the same function. What is the difference between both functions and which one is better?

Kind regards,
Arjan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ldap accept is better.

Smtp call ahead creates more load.

Smtp call ahead starts sending a messge to your mail server and aborts it if your mailserver doesn't like the TO header.

I don’t knownif it caches that result , but LDAP does have a cache. Also LDAP lets you do things like group checking, spam quarantine consolidation, mail routiing, etc.

View solution in original post

Click on the "Server Profile" where you set the hostnames/ips/etc, then click on Advanced, and you can set the cache settings there. 

cache settings.PNG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ldap accept is better.

Smtp call ahead creates more load.

Smtp call ahead starts sending a messge to your mail server and aborts it if your mailserver doesn't like the TO header.

I don’t knownif it caches that result , but LDAP does have a cache. Also LDAP lets you do things like group checking, spam quarantine consolidation, mail routiing, etc.

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear that we already have configured the best option
The thing is that we use a VPN-connenction for LDAP. When the VPN is down, we don't have LDAP-checks and mails are dropped. I thought SMTP Call Ahead could be an solution for that, but apparently it isn't.

Check the ldap cache age. You might be able to bump it up so you don't see as much dropped mail? There's a balance there of course...

Hello Ken,

Thanks.
Where can I find the cache configuration? I don't see it in the server profile (System Administration, LDAP, <server profile>) or in the Global LDAP Settings (System Administration, LDAP, Edit Setting).
Under the Global Settings, there is an option Flush Cache, but this isn't a configuration option.

Click on the "Server Profile" where you set the hostnames/ips/etc, then click on Advanced, and you can set the cache settings there. 

cache settings.PNG

Found it. I see that the standard cache TTL is 15 minutes. That should be enough for minor connection interuptions.

Thanks for your help with this case!