cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

List of best practice posts for 2020

marc.luescherFRE
Spotlight
Spotlight

Happy new year 2020 to the email security forum readers and contributors.

Since it has been a while for Cisco to publish a book about Ironport ESA/SMA administration i felt it would be appropriate to publish every month a smaller article about topics that matter to ESA/SMA administrators most.

For me to get an idea of topics of interest please reply with suggested topics.

Topics which come in my mind are :

a) Email authentication - Best Practices to ensure that PTR, SPF, DKIM and DMARC are setup correctly

b) Email data mining - What can you find out when uploading Email data into a SIEM which yu did not know before

c) ESA/SMA message filtering advanced - Filters you did not know where possible

d) ESA/SMA message debugging - Understand why some emails dont want to come in

-Marc

2 Replies 2

Those all feel a little advanced.  The only other advanced one that comes to mind that doesn't fall someplace in the 4 you mentioned is

e) Listener/Sender Group/Mail Flow Policy/Destination Controls set up & tuning.

A couple of less advanced topics:

Understanding the pipeline and policy engine.

Spoof types and how to address them

Agree.
I think they are all relevant - easy / advanced is just in relation to prior knowledge and experiences.
Such as, after 15yrs of ESA admin, I just realized that the DNS TTL is ignored and set to 1800, only because I now had a problem of interest in that area.

Possibly to be inclusive, an article should have a section to re-iterate some basic theory, add basic practices, then a deep dive topic. Best practices ( I hate that term ) can only be such, after much consensus and based on a relatively narrow set of requirements.

a) Email Authentication should be broken into numerous smaller subjects guided towards the principle of DMARC Reject being in use.
Incoming detection / outgoing setup for each SPF/DKIM/DMARC
b) Email data mining - not just email, but CISCO ESA logs. e.g. do you measure and detect changes in avg processing time per message
c) Message Filtering - basics to advanced deep dive
d) Debugging - many topics around here - such as AS update delays, SBRS rejection, SMTP logs
e) ...various set & tuning.... leans towards data mining, what can be measured to define how components could be setup and tuned.

Mail Pipeline is key - not too many details at once - re-iterate basics and deep dive a topic.
Spoofing - yes. But should be topics on what (in general) we are trying to defend against and how this could possibly be done. I always tend to find some dodgy bug in bug search when looking at upgrading. Are admins putting in additional rules to cover these gaps.