cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum recipients per message recommendations

aharkin11
Level 1
Level 1

We've been running into problems with a mass mailer trying to send single messages to hundreds of our employees simultaneously.  I've never seen this issue with any other mailer that sends to us, so I had to dig around a little and find that our maximum recipients per message is set to 50.   We have somewhere around 7000-8000 mailboxes routed through our Ironport, and I was just wondering what others have this set to.

4 Replies 4

pvdberg00
Level 1
Level 1

That really depends on the Mail Flow Policy used.

For the Accepted policy we leave this to the default, for Throttled we changed the default (to max 10 messages per connection and 25 recipients per message). In my opinion it is not the total amount of users but the amount of messages.

Peter

Sorry, I should have specified that this is on our Accepted policy and the messages per connection is also default (10).  I can't say that I've ever run into a mass mailer that sends messages like this.  Most of ours send individual emails to each user or to very small groups of users, this one looks like it's trying to attempt at least a hundred or so based on how far it gets alphabetically.

I am aware how to change the setting and avoid the issue, but I'm not sure that it's a very good idea and my feeling is that this is a failure of the mass mailer's part rather than in our system for not accepting it.

About how many users do you have behind your Ironport?  Obviously as you get more behind it, the chances of messages being addressed to larger numbers of them increases, and I'm wondering if other orgs our size have typically had to increase that setting to compensate.

I think we have behind our Ironports 30.000 +

Peter.

Thanks for replying with that.  That makes me feel a bit more reasonable since you have many more users than us.

I think we figured out what's going on.  The "mass mailer" is actually nothing more than someone with Outlook and a mail server that jacked all the limits way up so they could send more junk out at once.