Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy-based forwarding

Xavier Lloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not familiar with the IronPort ESA configuration at all. Just the concepts of what it does. However, I need to configure one for another appliance I'm installing. I need to be able to choose where to forward mails based on either the port that it connects on or the incoming IP address.

I've been trying to understand the ESA config guide (using version 7.0.1) to figure out how to configure this and here's all I have so far:

1. I can't receive mail on 2 different ports on the same interface
  2. Something about HATs

Can someone break it down for me please? I'm seeing a lot of options.

Regards,

Xavier

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Enrico Werner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

it is possible to configure more then one listener on one interface. They just need to be configured on different ports. So you can receive emails on the same interface with different ports. E.g. port 25 and port 26. Since the standard port for SMTP is 25, sending servers need to know that the appliance is listening as well on 26. So configuring different ports then port 25 would only make sense for particular servers/clients.

When you need to forward mails based on the interface they are connecting to you can make the use of content filters. In a content filter you can add a condition "Receiving Listener" and as action select for instance "Send to Alternate Destination Host", depending on where you need to forward email.

Best regards,
Enrico

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Enrico Werner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

it is possible to configure more then one listener on one interface. They just need to be configured on different ports. So you can receive emails on the same interface with different ports. E.g. port 25 and port 26. Since the standard port for SMTP is 25, sending servers need to know that the appliance is listening as well on 26. So configuring different ports then port 25 would only make sense for particular servers/clients.

When you need to forward mails based on the interface they are connecting to you can make the use of content filters. In a content filter you can add a condition "Receiving Listener" and as action select for instance "Send to Alternate Destination Host", depending on where you need to forward email.

Best regards,
Enrico

Many thanks Enrico! I'll try it out now

Enrico,

Any idea what port it forward mail on by default? Also, is it possible for me to change this port?

When I use "Send to Alternate Destination" I can specify the IP address but I can't specify the port.

Thanks!

Xavier

Hi Xavier,

the default port for outbound SMTP communication will be always 25. In the SMTP routes you can change the destination port. You also can specify a default interface for delivery. On the command line you can run deliveryconfig. Note that once the default interface for delivery has been fixed to a particular interface, then all outbound mail will go through this interface.

Regards,

Enrico

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: