cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent X-Ironport headers from being created for outgoing mail

stefan-stefan
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if it is possible to prevent the X-Ironport headers from being created  for outgoing mail ?
I know I can use strip-headers but its a lot of headers to strip with every mail and thus would be nicer to not even create them.

4 Replies 4

UdupiKrishna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ESA supports an option to disable the appliance from adding X-Ironport headers only for a few set of engines like AV, AMP , Outbreak but there are few headers like X-IPAS-Result, X-Ironport-SDR etc that cannot be disabled.

The only option as you understand it already is to use to content filters to strip the headers

Andres Vega
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stefan

There are some headers you cannot remove for outgoing messages, to be honest, I don't remember exactly which headers. Perhaps, something you can test with the command stripheaders.

The following information can be found in the CLI reference guide:
CLI Reference Guide for AsyncOS 14.2 for Cisco Secure Email Gateway - GD (General Deployment)

Stripheaders Description: Define a list of message headers to remove.

Usage
Commit: This command requires a ‘commit’.
Cluster Management: This command can be used in all three machine modes (cluster, group, machine).
Batch Command: This command does not support a batch format.

Example
mail3.example.com> stripheaders
Not currently stripping any headers.
Choose the operation you want to perform:
- SETUP - Set message headers to remove.
[]> setup
Enter the list of headers you wish to strip from the messages before they are delivered.
Separate multiple headers with commas.
[]> Delivered-To
Currently stripping headers: Delivered-To
Choose the operation you want to perform:
- SETUP
- Set message headers to remove.
[]> mail3.example.com>

Regards,

Andres

stefan-stefan
Level 1
Level 1

I have succesfully used stripheaders but do would like it if there was a feature to at least strip out headers with things like internal IP addresses etc. No need to advertise internal infrastructure imho.
Currenly am stripping out these : 

stefanstefan_0-1662563155125.png

There is no feature like a check box to automatically remove internal headers. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118235-technote-esa-00.html  - Explains the procedure which you have already followed.