Replies

Problem for the creation an IronPort rule

pdo92
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have a problem for create a complexe rule 

The goal is of deleting attachments less than 5Kb

I don't find that criteria, i find only an proceess for deleting the superior object (same even using drop-attachments-by-size)  not for deleting an inferior attachement 

Thank for you replies :) 

5 Replies 5

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

EDIT: Correction, this would look for any attachments larger than 5k and drop them. 

AttachmentSizeLessThan3KDrop: 
if (true){
drop-attachments-by-size(5000);}

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your reply.

the action "drop-attachments-by-size" drop files only when the size is greater than the limit passed in argument.

We would like to be able to delete attachments when the size is smaller than the limit (for our example 5ko).

We tried in conditions with the variables $filesizes and $filenames but we did not manage to define the action corresponding to our need.

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

Thanks for the clarity. I must have been thinking in reverse the other day. ;)

In that case, perhaps something like this? 

Attachment-Size-Less-Than-3K:
if (attachment-size <= 3K){
drop-attachments-by-size(0);
log-entry("*** ATTACHMENT-SIZE-LESS-THAN-3K ***");
}

So, it would see if there's an attachment less than 3K in size, and then if that condition is met drop any attachments over size 0. Though keep in mind if you have any emails with multiple attachments, and one of them is less than 3K, it's going to drop them all. 

I wouldn't really recommend this for production, but perhaps it might help in your particular use case?

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Hi Dennis,

I had seen this possibility but effectively all the attachments will be deleted.

In our need we would need to delete only small image attachments even if the message contains multiple attachments.

it's a rather complicated need :(

Regards

In theory, you could use drop-attachments-by-filetype and use image, but that still would drop every image in an email and not just the smaller ones.  You could also try by MIME type if there's a certain type to the smaller images you're looking for.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/esa/esa12-0/user_guide/b_ESA_Admin_Guide_12_0/b_ESA_Admin_Guide_chapter_01000.html#con_1137059

Sounds like it may not be currently possible though.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.