cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with virtual ESA deployment

ironport99
Level 1
Level 1

I have deployed a virtual ESA running on ESXi. I went into the console and ran ifconfig and setgateway to get the appliance onto the network. I am unable to connect to it when using SSH or HTTPS. On the appliance if I run a ping test from the interface I created I get: ping: bind: Can't assign requested address.

I am assuming this is an issue with the underlying virtual setup but anyone got any ideas what to check that may be causing this problem?

5 Replies 5

Did you commit it?

Hi Ken,

Yep - I did commit.

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which version of the vESA did you deploy?

And - with the changes commited - can you try to reboot and see if that solves?

We had an older bug that had reported similiar issues.

Also - from the ESX side, assure you properly have the three interfaces connected and powered on.  Do not delete or make modifications to the network adapters.

-Robert

For whomever may face the same issue, more than 6 years later that bug is still alive (AsyncOS 14) and a reboot fixed it.

Yes another option is to use vmotion to move the image to another host and then switch it back.

We have never been able to reproduce that issue so no fix in the queue for this, first discovered 4 years ago.

What mainly is happening is the virtual ESA looses the link to the virtual ESX network adapters for unknown reasons.

-Marc