Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Senderbase Information Disclosure

Hello everybody!

Since our company uses ESAs we are thinking about utilizing SenderBase for a better filtering of unwanted mails.

Now I aimed to find out what data is sent to SenderBase when doing a query. I found this page:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118408-technote-esa-00.html

which tells me that "queries disclose several things about your Company". After that it says that 1) parts of the system serial number and 2) the IP adresses connected to our ESA, are disclosed.

My question is: are these two pieces of information the only ones sent to SenderBase or is there more disclosure. The phrase "several things" makes me hesitate...

Thank you very much!

1 Reply 1

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Benedict,

I believe the details which are shared to senderbase should participation be enabled is generally information in lines of (vaguely put from my knowledge).

+ Your IP that received the email

+ Message details in terms of where it came from, who was the sender, subject, suspicious fingerprints and such

These are shared to the senderbase sensors and weights the amount of traffic exiting an IP and the reports against such emails if spam or legitimate to get categorized into the SBRS scores.

Regards,

Matthew