Views
Helpful
Replies

SMA - send and receive mail with TLS

tamaszoltan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible enable the SMTP TLS between the SMA and ESA appliances through quarantine communication ports (6025, 7025)?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As far as I know, this is related to the nature of the corresponding messages – emails tagged for Centralized CPQ are usually sensitive and their transmission should be protected and encrypted, whereas spam messages do usually not have confidential content.

Additionally, based on the amount of spam messages being quarantined, this could have a performance increase as each TLS conversation is at least 5-10 times more expensive than a normal SMTP conversation.

Traffic over port 7025 for centralized PVO is over TLS by default while centralized ISQ does not have a direct method to use TLS.

Regards,

Libin Varghese

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As far as I know, this is related to the nature of the corresponding messages – emails tagged for Centralized CPQ are usually sensitive and their transmission should be protected and encrypted, whereas spam messages do usually not have confidential content.

Additionally, based on the amount of spam messages being quarantined, this could have a performance increase as each TLS conversation is at least 5-10 times more expensive than a normal SMTP conversation.

Traffic over port 7025 for centralized PVO is over TLS by default while centralized ISQ does not have a direct method to use TLS.

Regards,

Libin Varghese

Thanks for your fast response!

".. whereas spam messages do usually not have confidential content"

possible spam - we don't know if the message is spam or not until the enduser makes that decision. 

We just might be violating the GDPR ruleset if we are not able to encrypt this communication.

I do understand that it will have a performance impact. But it would be nice to have a checkbox ...