Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO Findit did not display the CISCO Wireless Access Point WAP371

Long Ly
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I used the CISCO Findit to configure WAP371. I did restart the WAP371.  The WAP371 used the power adapter not POE switch. However, I did not see it in the list on Findit. I saw the router RV042G. I had connected WAP 371 either to Switch or Router.

I would like to setup the Wifi using WAP371 for dental office. 

What is wrong why I did not see the WAP371 on CISCO Findit?

Thanks,

Long

12 Replies 12

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Long Ly, If your WAP371 is connected successfully (Status is green) to the Router or Switch that's viewed in Findit, and it's on the same IP subnet, you should see this device.

1. Is the WAP371 being assigned it's IP address statically or dynamically?
  2. If Dynamically assigned (DHCP) from the Router, do you see that IP address being assigned in the DHCP Binding table..
  3. Can you ping the WAP371 from a device on the same network?

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn,

The power light is orange. The other one is green (network port). 

I couldnot see this device in FindIt. So, i didn't know its IP Address and I could not ping it. 

Thanks,

Long

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you using the FindIT Discovery Utility or FindIT Network Manager and Probe?  In both cases the most common method for discovering the device is through Bonjour announcements (multicast DNS).  If the WAP371 is a new device that has not been previously configured, then Bonjour will be enabled by default.  But if it has previously been configured, then it is possible that Bonjour might have been explicitly disabled.

If you are using FindIT Network Manager/Probe, then there are other ways that the device can be discovered, but to be discovered properly, the WAP would need SNMP enabled and/or a relatively recent software version loaded.  Also, the Probe will need to be told the SNM and admin credentials for the device.

So to help get to the bottom of the problem, I have a couple of questions:

- Are you using the Discovery Utility, or the Manager/Probe?

- Is the WAP371 a new device or was it previously configured?

- What version of firmware is the WAP running?

If you are using FindIT Network Manager and Probe, then I have a couple more questions:

- Do you see a host device being discovered that has the same IP or MAC address as the WAP?

- Have you entered the WAPs admin username and password into the Administration > Device Credentials page on FindIT?

- Is SNMP enabled on the WAP and have you entered the SNMP credentials into the Administration > Device Credentials page on FindIT?

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave,

I am using the  FindIT Discovery Utility. This WAP371 is new and has not been configured. I just bought it. I am not sure this WAP is running. 

Ok, that simplifies things then.  The Utility uses Bonjour to discover devices, which requires the device and the PC to be in the same VLAN.  Based on your reply to Glenn, it sounds like the WAP has booted and is running ok.  So my first thought is that there might be VLANs configured.  Have you previously configured different ports into different VLANs on the RV042?

Failing that, I'd also check the cables connecting the devices.  Can the PC ping the router or can you access the router web page from the PC?  Assuming you can, that suggests that patch lead is fine.  So then try swapping the lead between the router and the PC with the lead between the AP and the PC and then check that you can still access the router.  Maybe also try swapping the port you are connected to on the router as it is possible there is a bad port.

Cheers,

Dave.

I have not configured anything on the router yet. MY PC can ping the router and I can access the router web page from the PC. 

"lead between the AP and the PC" means connecting AP to PC. I did try to swap the ports on the router already. 

Do I need to reset this WAP again?

My friend told me to use Crossover cable to connect WAP to PC for the  Initial IP configuration on WAP371. I will try it when I stop by this office. 

Sorry, I meant to say swap the lead between the PC and router with the lead between the AP and the *router*.  Basically I wanted to see if the connection between the AP and the router is ok.  Connecting a cross-over cable between the AP and the PC should work, but remember that the AP normally would get an address through DHCP.  If it can't find a DHCP server, then it will use a default address of 192.168.1.245 if I remember correctly.  So you will need to change the IP address of the PC to be in that same subnet.  FindIT should still show the AP though, even if the IP addressing is wrong.

One other thought I had was to make sure that the AP is connected to a LAN port on the router and not a WAN or DMZ port.  You won't be able to connect to the AP if it is plugging into one of the WAN ports.

Cheers,

Dave

Also, if you are going to be out on site and none of these suggestions help, then you should call the support centre and speak to an engineer.  They will be able to help you immediately and you will be able to troubleshoot much more quickly than working through the community.  The contact numbers for the support centre can be found at https://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc.

Cheers,

Dave.

The lead between AP and Router is OK because I see the light is flashing on the router. I will try it again and let you know if I have any updates.

I bought this WAP from the third party. i am not sure  I have technical service with CISCO. 

Thanks Dave. 

Seeing the light flashing doesn't guarantee that there is bi-directional connectivity.  I'd still swap the cable just to be really sure.

As for calling support, so long as the unit is a new one purchased through a Cisco reseller, then you should still be under the warranty and be able to log a support call.

Cheers,

Dave.

Yesterday I worked with Cisco engineer and we found out that the device is bad. 

Glad to hear you were able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Cheers,

Dave.