cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discovery in FindIt

shanmann
Level 1
Level 1

I have a FindIT Probe installed and i can't discover any hosts.

I get  the error "Failed to calculate discovery".

How can i add host manualy ? I have many subnets in my network. Where can i define there ?

7 Replies 7

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FindIT discovers the network dynamically and does not support entering in devices manually or scanning address ranges.  Can I ask what types of Cisco devices you have in your network?  FindIT is designed to be used with the Cisco 100 to 500 series products, so if you are using products like a Catalyst 2960 or an Aironet 1800 for example, then FindIT will not be of any use to you.

Cheers,

Dave.

we have SG-300 and SG-500 Switches.

I think, the Problem is, the Switches and the Findit Server are in different subnets.

is there a way to sy findit the IPs of the Switches?

Ok, you are correct.  If all of the devices are in different subnets to FindIT, then FindIT will not be able to identify a device to start the discovery process with.  Unfortunately at the moment, there is no way to manually identify a seed device to start the discovery.  Is there a reason why FindIT must be in a different subnet?

Cheers,

Dave.

Yes.

Firstly its historical and second its purpose to have Clients and Servers in different broadcast Domains. That was in the past a good workaround 

Fair enough.

Unfortunately I don't really have an answer for you in the short term.  I will discuss the issue with the engineering team and see what we can do.  But the earliest we could do anything would be mid to late this year.  So the only immediate fix would be if you can relocate the Probe connection into the same VLAN as at least one of the management interfaces for the devices.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello,

Can you tell me if there is any other tool that i can install to manage Catalyst switches & airo APs on one dashboard?

thank you,

There are several tools available, both from Cisco and from other companies that can provide a single interface for managing Catalysts switches and Aironet APs, amongst other devices.  Indeed, most network management platforms from across the industry will give you at least some of this given how widely deployed those platforms are.

It's hard to be specific without knowing your requirements and environment.  It might be best to speak to the Cisco reseller, distributor or partner that you normally work with, as they will hopefully understand your environment well enough to provide some specific recommendations.

Cheers,

Dave.