Views
Helpful
Replies

FindIT 2.0 OS Credentials

tonyeden1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding FindiT utility.  I have a small office where we have a few Cisco items that can use FindiT.  When I installed it it's asking for my OS credentials.  But the problem is that the machine I've installed it on, the OS doesn't use a password, it just logs in automatically to the OS upon restart.  Hence not being able to log into FindIT. 

Windows 10 Firefox

Any help is appreciated here, thanks

15 Replies 15

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

It looks like you have found a use case that we didn't take into account when we were testing.  Let me have a talk to engineering and get back to you.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank you! 

FWIW, When I setup this Windows 7 (now 10) environment I bypassed setting up a password. 

Any thoughts on this yet?

Hi Tony,

Did you see my reply on this thread a couple of weeks ago?  Anyway, short version is we plan to fix this in the next release, but wanted to check how much of a problem this is for you?  I'd prefer not to do a bugfix release just for this problem if I can avoid it.

Cheers,

Dave.

I guess we're in no hurry. when is the next release?

thanks

The plan at this stage is early next year.

Cheers,

Dave.

Circling back around on this. Any ideas on how I can log into my FINDIT?  I still cannot log in.

I'm afraid there is no real solution at this point.  The intent is still to fix this in the next release, but unfortunately we have had to push the next release of the utility out a bit to later in 2017.  I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

Cheers,
Dave.

This was an easy fix, by just setting up a password, logging in, then removing my Win10 password.

That was easy.  I'm sorry we didn't think of that at this end.  You could have been up and running a lot sooner.

Anyway, at least you are working now.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello? Anything ?

We are still trying to figure out how best to solve this problem.  It is more complicated than you might think.  Please bear with us and I will let you know as soon as we have something.

Cheers,

Dave.

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.  We've looked into the issue and believe we have a reasonable fix that will allow for this type of install.  It is a little complicated, and so far, you are the only person who has reported trying to do this, so the plan is to include the fix in the next release of FindIT.  That is still a little while off however, so I wanted to understand how badly this is impacting you, and whether you need an immediate solution?

Cheers,

Dave.

Jebadhas_John
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Tony,

There are two possible things that could be happening here.

Windows 10 may not prompt you to enter a login password when it is powering up or waking from sleep either because you have set it to not ask for password or there is no password, which is less likely.

In Windows 10 > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Require Sign-in > 'Never'
# If you do not see 'Never' selected here then you really don't have a password
# But if never is selected here then you probably have a password set and you need to find a way to remember it or reset it

You may try right clicking the FindIT .exe setup file and choose 'Run as Administrator'

And use Internet explorer (Not the edge version) on Windows 10 for FindIT.

Type iexplore.exe in RUN window if you have trouble locating the regular IE in Win 10.

~Jeb