Views
Helpful
Replies

FindIT and Cisco Business Dashboard

OneHarvestIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So I experimenting with Cisco Business Dashboard, and after much trial and error, and random Google results, worked out how to connect FindIT probe on an SG350X (maybe it's me but documentation for that wasn't the most obvious to come across).  One site connected fine, and chugging away, another site, the switch now gives me "%FINDIT-E-FINDITMEMISSUE: FIndIT Probe Agent disabled. Please clear FindIT Memory and re-enable probe ". 
Obviously my Google-Fu is letting me down, as I can not find this mentioned anywhere that Google trawls.  How do I clear this FindIT memory?  I'm assuming this is because it used to be connected to the Cisco Network Manager instead.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

This issue occurs when the probe discovers more manageable network devices than the switch has enough memory to support.  In order to protect the operation of the switch, the probe will shut down in this situation.  To clear this problem, ssh to the the switch and use the command 'clear findit probe database'.  This will allow you to restart the probe, but the problem will recur immediately if there are too many device on the network.

The embedded probe in the switch platforms supports up to 15 routers, switches and access points.  You do have a little bit of headroom over that threshold before this problem will occur, but you really need to limit the size of the network being managed by the embedded probe.  If you have more than 15 network device to manage in a single site, then you will need to run the probe on a PC or Raspberry Pi.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

This issue occurs when the probe discovers more manageable network devices than the switch has enough memory to support.  In order to protect the operation of the switch, the probe will shut down in this situation.  To clear this problem, ssh to the the switch and use the command 'clear findit probe database'.  This will allow you to restart the probe, but the problem will recur immediately if there are too many device on the network.

The embedded probe in the switch platforms supports up to 15 routers, switches and access points.  You do have a little bit of headroom over that threshold before this problem will occur, but you really need to limit the size of the network being managed by the embedded probe.  If you have more than 15 network device to manage in a single site, then you will need to run the probe on a PC or Raspberry Pi.

Cheers,

Dave.

OneHarvestIT
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you!
And correct, it did die straight away again.  So with the new version of FindIT, it needs more resources than the previous version since this switch used to poll the whole site before the update?

Actually, no, the requirements haven't really changed.  It's just that previously we did not implement any specific controls, so at some point you would start to see degradation of service on the switch and other apparently unrelated problems.  But those problems could be difficult to properly identify and the point at which they would start occurring could vary widely between networks.  So rather than have people remain at risk of those issues, we added the failsafe.

Cheers,

Dave.

OneHarvestIT
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that, that makes sense.