Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5515-x High Availability Question

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Forum

I am with a Customer today whom has purchased 2 ASA 5515-x next gen's.

They are desiring to have an Active /Standy Failover Pair.

When I perform a sho ver on both of the appliances, I can see that they are both licensed for Active/Active.

Since I am not going to configure any more than 1 Security Context (vs.2 or many), am I able to proceed with these guys licensed for Active/Active with an Active / Standby configuration?

Thank You!

3 Replies 3

The license shows you that you could also configure Active/Active. But you don't have to. You can also configure the "normal" Active/Standby HA which is very often used.

umesh.chowdhary
Level 1
Level 1

Hi K-Melton ,

Did you find answer ? As I recently deployed 2 x 5515x and both are in Active/Active mode.

If yes , what're the command you need to run on ASAs ?

Thanks

As Karsten noted, the "Active / Active" is available but more commonly we deploy ASA pairs in "Active / Standby" mode as the vast majority are single context deployments.

There is no change in the required licensing for either approach - only the context licenses if you run more than the base Admin and User contexts.

All current models 5515-X and above are eligible for high availability configuration without additional licensing. The 5512-X (and 5505) would require Security Plus licensing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card