cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ring Network connected to IE4010

Micah2013
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ring handled by non-cisco managed switches via fiber. This fiber network connects to the main switch that handles all the traffic on site, an IE4010, via ethernet from the ring master (again non-cisco). Network_Layout.pngThe port that it connects to will intermittently see a loopback, typically when one of the switches in the ring is experiencing a hardware issue, and the IE4010 then detects a loopback and shuts down that ethernet port. I know there is a loopback, that is the point of the ring network and is why the other switches were designed and setup the way they are. What I don't understand is why the IE4010 cares about what is happening on a loop it isn't meant to manage. I'm not a network technician and have learned everything I can in the field with little to no help from the outside. It is also important to note that if this main switch is down for more than a few minutes it could cause process upsets, i.e. I would get yelled at for touching it when "it was working fine". When I inherited this site the cisco was not configured at all. I gave it an IP, a name and password, and tried to setup STP/BDPU filtering on it in a misguided attempt to stop the problems. I apologize if I haven't given enough information, but if there are any details required I would appreciate someone letting me know what I need to add in the future and any links on where to find said information. 

1 Reply 1

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hello,

if the network diagram provided represents the actual physical connectivity, then why IE4010 reports a loopback is mystery.  more information needed.

can you share the current configuration of teh IE4010 interface facing the ring.?

can you share "show interface trunk"

can you share "show interface <intf>"

can you share teh exact syslog message the IE4010 produces when itnterface goes error disabled?

also the output of this command if possible:  

switch#show interfaces status err-disabled

to reduce the impact you can recover from teh error disabled state automatically. 

use command "switch(config)# errdisable recovery cause ?"  and pick the cause of the error disable.  if you don't know you can guess.  or choose multiple . 

then chooose interval:   "switch(config#) errdisable recovery intervaln ?"  and pick your time.

anyway its an idea to be able to recovery quickly if you want.