cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modifying a dependency after it is in the schedule

watcher_b
Level 1
Level 1

I have job group A which is in the schedule and running.

I get a request to insert job group B, which is not currently in the schedule as it is on a different calendar, into the schedule.  The catch being that A needs to be aborted since A and B cannot run at the same time.

Resources or dependencies have not been set up for this situation as it is just assumed they will be on seperate calendars and will never be an issue.

What I would like to do is modify the aborted job's dependency from group A to depend on group B finishing so that I can rerun it and it will politely wait for group B to finish.  So I went into the job definition for that job, changed it's dependency, hit ok to change it in today's schedule, and... nothing changed.  The job from group A did not contain the new dependency.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there are work around for what I am trying to do?

1 Reply 1

Tracy Donmoyer
Level 1
Level 1

My experience is that once a non-repeating job has launched any change to the job definition will not propagate to the current day's schedule.

This does make sense.  When you change a job definition of a scheduled job, the job is actually deleted from the schedule and re-created.  You can confirm this by observing the Job Number change.  If a job that has already processed were to be deleted, you would lose the audit trail.

You could insert the modified job.  This would place a second instance into the schedule with the added dependency.  Of course you will need to define the dependency correctly or it still won't launch.  Also, if there are successor jobs to the aborted job, they won't launch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: