Views
Helpful
Replies

Signature IPS: Action based on detected signature

msngodmsngod
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring a IPS sensor (NME-IPS-K9 module on a Cisco 2900 series router).

In Cisco IPS Device Manager Configurations --> Policies --> IPS Policies you can assing IPS policies (LowRis, MediumRisk and HIGHRisk) to the virtusl Sensor under the colom Event Action Override Policys.

I am wondering when IPS detected a potential threat is the sensor taking actions according Policies defined under the Event Action Override policy or the Event Action which is defined under the signatures? (Configuration > Policies > Signature Definitions > Sig0 > *)

Thanks in advance for your reply!

1 Reply 1

Dustin Ralich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I am wondering when IPS detected a potential threat is the sensor taking actions according Policies defined under the Event Action Override policy or the Event Action which is defined under the signatures? (Configuration > Policies > Signature Definitions > Sig0 > *)

The Action(s) configured for the Signature that fired/triggered is "queued" to take effect. If an EAO (Event Action Override) matches, then the Action(s) configured for it is added to the queue. Then, if an EAF (Event Action Filter) matches, the Action(s) configured for it is subtracted from the queue. Whatever Action(s) remains (if any) then occurs.

References:

-SEAP (Signature Event Action Processor)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card