Views
Helpful
Replies

8861 phone will not register after wireless upgrade

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am seeing a strange issue and curious how many others are seeing this issue.  We are using the Cisco 8861 IP phone and have connected them up to our wireless.  They work great and would love to deploy more.  But have noticed something any time we upgrade our Cisco Wireless LAN Controller.  After a WLC upgrade, obviously the WLC reboots to load the new code and the Access Points need to reboot to download and load the new code.  But after the wireless upgrade the 8861 IP phones do not re-register with the Cisco Call Manager.  Phone sits with a message of either verify your network or registering.

During troubleshooting the IP phones are connected to wireless and associated, all looks good.  But phones will not register with the call manager.  Forcing a deauthenticate on the WLC will not force phone to register but adding and removing the phone to the WLC exclusionlist will get the phones to register.  Of course rebooting the phone will get phone to register, but a pain having to get someone to reboot phones at a remote site.

Anyone else seen an issue similar to this.  I would think that when the APs reboot the phone will recognize that the network is no longer available and reconnect to wireless, when the APs are back online, and re-register back with the Call Manager.  Am I hoping too much for these IP phones to behave like any other wireless device and just work when wireless becomes unavailable for a second?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Never seen a behaviour like this on an 7925/8821. 

Here's a good test:  Reboot an AP that has an 8861 joined on.  See if the phone is able to "join" or "roam" to another AP.  This is a good indication whether the issue is the firmware of the phone or not.

Wait ... I think I know what this is:  The 8821, as an example, have several out-of-range (OoR) bugs.  When a handset goes out of range (from wireless coverage), the wireless component crashes but it does NOT show up on the screen.  
The only way to fix this is to reboot the phone/handset &/or turn off the phone before going OoR and then turning it back on when the phone is in range.

I was just starting to arrange for a outage window to do that exact test.  Luckily these wifi phones are all located in a remote building so I can reboot the whole building, which is the closest I can get to simulating all the APs rebooting due to code upgrade.

Would you happen to remember what the bug numbers are for the 8821?

Thanks

@trapasso wrote:

Would you happen to remember what the bug numbers are for the 8821?

It may not be "exactly" the same one but very similar:  FN - 64274 - CP-8821 Fails in Wireless LAN Infrastructures