Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic backup of IPMA Assistant speed dials

ibarker100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have the issue where sometimes the IPMA Assistants speed dials go AWOL.  We do take backups of the VIP's only as we have 150plus Assistants and do not have the time and resources to follow the Cisco procedure to backup speed dials by breaking the network connection and copying the local .xml file to a backup area

is there any way we can automatically back these files up from the call manager side ?

Any information appreciated

Cheers

Ian

3 Replies 3

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ian,

It is not possible to recover the speeddials from the callmanager. The reason this is not possible, is that they are in an encrypted form in the callmanager database and so we cannot pull them out with an sql query. I'm afraid the only way forward is to have the assistant enter them again manually.

Please follow below the manual procedure ...  .

Login to the assistant console application and configure all the speed dials.  .

Once you have all the speeddials remove the network cable from the computer where the assistant console application is installed (and/or switch off the wifi. It is very important that there is no network connectivity whatsoever)  .

Close the application now.  .

The application will try to connect to CUCM to send the new speed dial configuration but of course it will fail. Because it will fail it will  take a backup of the speed dials in an XML file located at C:\Program Files\Cisco\Unified CallManager Assistant Console\data\.xml This file contains the speed dials configuration.  .

Make a copy this file in another location as a backup file  .

Plug the network cable back in the pc. Once you login now to assistant console with the network cable plugged in the xml file will be immediately send to callmanager and will not be in the PC anymore.  .

Next time the speed dials are lost you can copy your backup file that you saved in another location to C:\Program Files\Cisco\Unified CallManager Assistant Console\data\.xml and as soon as you login you will have your speed dials back.

Pierre.

Hi Pierre, thanks for your reply

I do follow this procedure however we have in excess of 100 Assistants and do not want to have to do this with each one

I am looking for an autmatic way that call manager can back up all its assistants speed dials - can this be done ?

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I don't know if you already found a solution for this but I came across this issue and here is what I discovered.

I was able to perform the backup procedure Cisco recommends for all our IPMA users from my desk. I simply launched IPMA on my PC and logged in with th IPMA user credentials one by one disconnecting my network link and forcing the IPMA client to save the speed dials to the local computer then I placed the xml files in a central location. To restore the speed dials, I don't need to go to the users desk. I do it from my PC by coping the specific user xml file to C:\Program Files\Cisco\Unified CallManager Assistant Console\data\.xml and then lounching the application and loging on as that user. I then log off and when the user logs on, his/her speed dials have been recovered.

I hope this helps.