cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7937G Audio Input/Output via Line In Port?

cwastell
Level 1
Level 1

So the Cisco 7937G has a 2.5mm jack that's labeled as an input and output port. Documentation only references it as an external mic connector.

The equivalent PolyCom IP 7000 has a "computer connection" kit for this port that enables audio input and output.  I have purchased said cable: it goes from a 2.5mm jack to two 3.5mm plugs: one labeled input the other labeled output. So far, I'm not having any luck getting it to work with the 7937G.

For the PolyCom version, the instruction are to:

1. Press Menu key

2. Navigate to: Settings > Basic > Audio > Auxiliary Audio > Aux Audio Out

3. Select the External Speaker Option and press the Back soft key to exit from the phone menu 1. Press Menu key
2. Navigate to: Settings > Basic > Audio > Auxiliary Audio > Aux Audio Out
3. Select the External Speaker Option and press the Back soft key to exit from the phone menu

I'm not seeing this anywhere in the Cisco menus.

Anyone have any ideas on getting this working?

8 Replies 8

cwastell
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

cjmaxwell
Level 1
Level 1

Chuck,

I am keen to hear from anyone who has this functionality working also - as we are looking to possibly use this port to connect in some wirelsss microphones for audience use in a townhall setting. However CISCO details of this port are sketchy at best.

EricEngelmann
Level 1
Level 1

The audio *IN* works well when I attach a 2.5mm male TRS to dual 3.5mm female mike/headset adapter. I'm not having any luck with the audio out, which I really need. My next step is to buy a 4 pole TRRS 2.5mm Male to RCA M, M, M breakout cable off eBay and see if any of the conductors carries an audio out signal. It's a shame, because I subscribed to this forum specifically to avoid having to reverse engineer this off-the-shelf product.

Hi Eric,  I'm about to try that as well.  Did it work?

Here's where I am on interfacing external mikes, PCs, speakers, etc. with the Cisco 7937. It seems this I/O port is quite a mystery to both Cisco and the manufacturer (Polycom). There are virtually no technical specs for it anywhere on line. So, I bought a variety of cables and connectors and tried exploring. I could never get anything but input into the 7937 to work. I could never get any output from it despite the output symbol next to the port. Here are the input test results:

1. 3 pole 2.5mm to dual stereo 3.5mm breakout cable didn't work at all
  2. 4 pole 2.5mm to stereo 3.5mm for input worked only on one pole (red connection). Half volume?
  3. 3 pole 2.5mm to stereo 3.5mm for input works only on white connector (louder?)
  4. 3 pole 2.5mm to mono 3.5mm for input, works (louder?)
  5. 2 pole 2.5mm to stereo 3.5mm for input, works
  6. 2 pole 2.5mm to mono 3.5mm for input ,works, and is simplest.

So, if you want to feed an external audio source into the Cisco 7937, almost any type of 2.5mm male connector cable at the 7937 will work

I could never find any mention of successful use online, and could not find an output signal myself, so I suspect the 7937 was just mislabeled.

michaelnixon2
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any success with this?  We would really love to be able to use our 7937G for Video Conferencing over Webex, Via3 or Skype.We almost bought the Polycom Connector Kit until I read this thread.

Did you hook up the Polycom Connector Kit and did it work?  I am considering buying the Polycom® SoundStation IP Multi-Interface Module to get inputs/outputs for our system?

Anthony,

Not sure who the question was directed to. I use the Polycom SoundStation 2W as a mike for VC and webinar apps, but have spent too much time on the Cisco/Polycom 7937 and still can't get it to provide an audio output applications can use. It's really sad too see so much effort go into engineering and so little into documenting and making devices usable. Guess that's what happens when organizations get big and bureaucratic.