cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP phone as landline

seichi
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a fairly easy way to use a Cisco up phone as a normal landline in my house? I would like to use one in my office at home without the need for a complicated set up. Just wondered if it was possible with some know how?

2 Replies 2

Hi

Well, dont know which phone do you have but you can see that the phone have, usually, a RJ45 connector and the landline usually use a smaller connector (sometimes RJ11). This happen because Cisco Phone expect to be connected in a computer network in order to work. (As I said, not sure which cisco device you have, so I am considering the standard)

But the problem does not stop there. Usually, Cisco phone does not hold the configuration on itself, it gets the configuration from somehwhere and this "somewhere" is a complicated system usually called Call Manager. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@seichi wrote:

Is there a fairly easy way to use a Cisco up phone as a normal landline in my house?

Use, yes. 

Setup, no.  Cisco phones are meant to be used with Cisco-branded call managers.  Cisco phones are also known to be very complicated to integrate with 3rd party call managers like 3CX or Asterisk.