cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Spa phones with flashing led

Andy Crawford
Level 1
Level 1

So, a while back I had configured a bunch of SPA303 phones for a hotel. Each room phone has the exact same configuration, all copy and pasted from a clipboard, just a different extension number.

Each phone has Line 1 setup, and then the Front Desk, and Restaurant as speed dial functions. Everything registered properly, and works as it should, except on some of the phones, the front desk and restaurant speed dial flash orange (keep in mind, they are registered, and work fine). I did some google searching, and under attendant console, putting the code c=g in the serv subscription line fixes this issue, so I made the change to every phone in the hotel. It seemed to work, but there are still a couple phones that do not want to stay a solid green, and will continue to flash orange. 

Am I missing something here? How can I make these all stay solid green, as the guests have an issue with the flashing lights. Sorry that I do not have pictures, or screenshots, as I am not on site, and I wont be able to provide any right away. 

1 Reply 1

tibij@cisco
Level 1
Level 1

From your description it seems the extns that are nonconforming have some option or subscription activated which is causing the response.  

I would confirm the firmware on the nonconforming units is the same as those on the conforming ones.  Also, are they on the same subnet?  

In the past I have had issue with misbehaving units where recycled devices had old options enabled when they were put out of service and my predecessor did not flash using "Firmware Recovery"and opted to only update firmware.  The result was the old options were kept in the firmware and when the new configuration was copied to the phone because not every single value was copied any options that were not copied were kept by the device creating nonconforming units.  Most devices when you copy SIP options to a configuration file it doesn't remove the prior options, it only overwrites the existing values with the new values you copy.  Any old values are non changed or removed.  

In a nutshell you can #1) do a "seek and ye shall find method" to try to find what configuration was changed (this would only be successful from a configuration file download, as the user interface version has many features not exposed) #2) do a firmware restore to wipe all settings to a factory new state and then update to match to the other deployed units.   

In my case I ended up doing a firmware recovery, because it was the only way to ensure that rogue settings were not present in the devices.  Ended up over a week going through all the devices through the organization but was necessary for security and compliance considerations.