Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-8851 downloads same firmware after every reboot

Tenere
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I have several CP-8551 with SIP software and updated the firmware from 12.7.1 to 14.2.1SR2 via TFTP server.

Download of new firmware worked and phones reported "Ready to Upgrade" and asked for a reboot ("Now or delay").

After the reboot the phones downloaded the same software again and again asked for a reboot. This happens after every reboot, caused by powering off the device (after choosing  "delay") or by rebooting after upgrade (pressing "now").

Please advise what caused this behaviour.

Thanks in advance!

Joerg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tenere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello peterh,

thanks for the message.

It doesn't matter if you use the zip file or the cop file. The hashes of the relevant files are exactly the same. And the behaviour is the same (requesting firmware after reboot).

BUT: if you place all the files in the root folder, it works like a charm. Put the files in a seperate folder and point in the <loadInformation> section of the cnf.xml file of the phone to the folder containing the firmware files the phone will request an update after every reboot.

Thanks,

Joerg

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you probably have downloaded a .zip archive from software.cisco.com?
are all the extracted files available on the tftp server ?
-> Step 8. Extract the downloaded file.
Upgrade the Firmware of the 7800 and 8800 Series Multiplatform Phone through Upgrade Rule - Cisco )

if you are using the phone in combination with the Cisco call manager, there will be restrictions on the firmware version
the call manager can instruct the phone to download the version supplied by the call manager.
as this must  be compatible with the running version of the call manager,
you must install this file to the call manager not just any tftp server

8811, 8841, 8851, 8851NR and 8861 SIP IP Phone load signed COP file
- Compatible CUCM Versions: 11.5(1)+
cmterm-88xx-sip.14-2-1-0201-40.k4.cop.sha512

Good evening and thanks for the reply.

I’m not using CUCM. I use the phones with SIP firmware with an Asterisk system.

I extracted the *.cop.sha512 file and placed all the extracted files on the tftp server.
I resented the phone to factory defaults and let it download the firmware from the tftp server. The log showed the phone downloading the new firmware but starts downloading the firmware again after a reboot.

Best regards,
Joerg

Look at the back where the SKU of the phone is.  There should be sticker (or something) that says "Hardware Revision".  What does it say.  

Usually, new phones come with a yellow sticker that specifically states the minimum software version the phone will accept and I suspect this is it.

Another suspect is one (or more) files in the TFTP server could be corrupt.  

apearently I was not clear,
the .cop file is for use in combination with CUCM
if you do not use CUCM , you will need the .zip file, not the .cop ?

Tenere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello peterh,

thanks for the message.

It doesn't matter if you use the zip file or the cop file. The hashes of the relevant files are exactly the same. And the behaviour is the same (requesting firmware after reboot).

BUT: if you place all the files in the root folder, it works like a charm. Put the files in a seperate folder and point in the <loadInformation> section of the cnf.xml file of the phone to the folder containing the firmware files the phone will request an update after every reboot.

Thanks,

Joerg