Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial-Peer Forward-digits, translation rule and the initial 9

breeze_intonate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I'm new to voice and I'm facing with a destination-pattern question in my lab.

Basically I understand that I can use the forward-digits to control the number of the right most digits been passed on to the voice port,which is sweet for fixed length. However I wonder if in case of variable length destination-patterns, ie international numbers, what can we do to achieve the following:

1. dial 9 to select the dial-peer

2. strip the initial 9 and pass on the rest digits which could be in any length?

I've tried a translation profile which strips the initial 9 and assigned to the designated dial-peer and then set forward-digits all without success.

If I just specify a pattern like 0011T and forward-digits all it will work, but what if there are multiple peers and we need to use initial number(s) to choose from each one?

Can someone please shed some light on this one?

Thanks in advance!

Leon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not really, you do need to design a dial plan, but that depends on the country and your needs, yes, you could live with only something like 9.T, but that's rarely seen.

Exact matches on a POTS DP

destination-pattern 5556...

Would only send the last 3 digits of that, 5556 would be stripped as they're an exact match.

As you mentioned, forward-digits would only assist on fixed length dial plans, if the above would be configured that way to send calls to a particular port, you could then use the command to send all the digits if required.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're talking about POTS DPs, the exact matches are stripped, and the rest of the digits are sent to the telco.

destination-pattern 9.T would strip the 9, and send anything else

There's plenty of material on cisco.com that explains how the dial-peers work, have you reviewed it??

You can also do the same with translation rules, there's also plenty of material on the topic on cisco.com, with examples to do a lot of things, including how to match a number at the beginnng of a number.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for your reply.

I've spent a fair bit of time on the documentation but I couldn't seem to find any example which could point me to the right way.

I assume when you say "the exact matches are stripped" it means with default (not specified) forward-digits, I think that's where I didn't understand initially. So in practice, one should specify all the known length pattern with a forward-digits command to avoid the needs to wait for the timeout and use the 9.T as a catch all pattern for anything in a variable length?

Thank you very much!

Leon

Not really, you do need to design a dial plan, but that depends on the country and your needs, yes, you could live with only something like 9.T, but that's rarely seen.

Exact matches on a POTS DP

destination-pattern 5556...

Would only send the last 3 digits of that, 5556 would be stripped as they're an exact match.

As you mentioned, forward-digits would only assist on fixed length dial plans, if the above would be configured that way to send calls to a particular port, you could then use the command to send all the digits if required.

HTH

java

Thank you very much Jaime! Much appreciated!

Leon