Views
Helpful
Replies

Drawback if we enable URI dialing ?

csedlmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all.

We want to prepeare for URI dialing because of 2 reason.

One reason is a isco Bug if you mix 9971 and 8865 in a pickup group. Workaround would be to have an URI configured on the line.

Second reason we want to prepare our Cluster for URI dialing. Specialy we want to enable it to dial an URI with Cisco Jabber. This could solve issue with users that change phone number very often.

Now I am planning to set the Parameter in´LDAP Sync that URI will automaticly set by E-Mail from LDAP. As I understand if this is done the E-Mail will set as URI to enduser and if enduser have an Primary line set the system automaticly set the URiI to the primary line.I guess because of this all devices will restart ?

To prepeare URI dialing as I know I also have to enable FQDN for SIP signaling. I am not sure if this produce and issues ?

Christian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Christian,

"As I understand if this is done the E-Mail will set as URI to enduser and if enduser have an Primary line set the system automaticly set the URiI to the primary line"

This is correct. URI dialing from CUCM's perspective is just a mask for a directory number. Everytime you dial someones URI, CUCM translates the URI immediately into the number that is set as the primary Line for the user that holds that particular email.

You can also configure manual URIs for certain extensions that are not set as primary Lines, or owned by any user. To do this just open the DN and configure the URI manually.

"I guess because of this all devices will restart ?

And no, you don't have to restart all the devices as this is not a change that affect devices, rather the way that CUCM behaves and translates the URIs into the numbers.

"To prepeare URI dialing as I know I also have to enable FQDN for SIP signaling. I am not sure if this produce and issues ?"

You don't have to set up FQDN on the CUCM for URI dialing to work. CUCM is aware of the URI field for each end user if you set it up correctly on the LDAP directory (and obviusly resync after doing the change), and CUCM will always try to translate a URI into the primary Line of the user. So there is not need to set up a FQDN.

Best Regards, Jaime.

If you find this information helpful please rate.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello Christian,

"As I understand if this is done the E-Mail will set as URI to enduser and if enduser have an Primary line set the system automaticly set the URiI to the primary line"

This is correct. URI dialing from CUCM's perspective is just a mask for a directory number. Everytime you dial someones URI, CUCM translates the URI immediately into the number that is set as the primary Line for the user that holds that particular email.

You can also configure manual URIs for certain extensions that are not set as primary Lines, or owned by any user. To do this just open the DN and configure the URI manually.

"I guess because of this all devices will restart ?

And no, you don't have to restart all the devices as this is not a change that affect devices, rather the way that CUCM behaves and translates the URIs into the numbers.

"To prepeare URI dialing as I know I also have to enable FQDN for SIP signaling. I am not sure if this produce and issues ?"

You don't have to set up FQDN on the CUCM for URI dialing to work. CUCM is aware of the URI field for each end user if you set it up correctly on the LDAP directory (and obviusly resync after doing the change), and CUCM will always try to translate a URI into the primary Line of the user. So there is not need to set up a FQDN.

Best Regards, Jaime.

If you find this information helpful please rate.

Ok thanks for all the information. It really help.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to be clear, if you already have all your users in CUCM and then you change the URI setting to email, or you populate it, or change that email in your LDAP, it will NOT automatically change anything in the DNs.

That would only happen if you have the settings for self-provisioning and you're syncing a user for the first time.

If you already have all your users and their DNs, you would need to manually populate their right URI for their lines.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for this information I was not sure if I work only for new users or all users that are already configured, but now I am clear on this. Thanks.