ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I am moving to Voip but needs analog for my alarm system ...

fa355115
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I want to change from internet / Telephony operator where the current one has analog phone line, and the next one will be using Voip.

Issue is that my alarm system is using and needs an analog phone line ...

I would like to know if / what I an use to still have some kind of analog signal for my alarm system ?

Is this possible ?

Many thanks !!

10 Replies 10

CiscoDOJones
Level 1
Level 1

Your alarm system is very very important, and not something you want to run through your VoIP solution at site, I would say the same for emergency phones in lifts and such places (if you have them).   Get a dedicated PSTN line from your local service provider and have it directly connected.

Also a lot less hassle when the stop working.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I understand and agree with you ... but my actual internet provider is increasing the costs so high that it becomes difficult to continue with him ... reason why I want to get rid of him.

My alarm system "calls" me 1 time per year max I would say ... so it is pretty unlikely that the Voip / internet will not be UP at the exact moment the alarm needs to call me.

So this is a risk I want to put in the balance.

Mobile network module is another possibility, but ...

so I want to get back to this question I have with a solution like using an ata box or any other solution ?

Many thanks !

I do agree with the perspective on purchasing a dedicated analog PSTN connection for things like alarm systems. However, since that sounds like it may not be a reasonable option in this case, you should be able to use an ATA or an FXS port on a VGW instead.

ajay1komban
Level 1
Level 1

If you need to create analog line (analog signal) ,you can try Cisco voice gateway solution.

Cisco has different products like ATA Analog telephony adapter,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/small-business-voice-gateways-ata/index.html

The Cisco® VG350, VG320, VG310, VG204XM, and VG202XM Analog Voice Gateways allow you to use your IP telephony solution with traditional analog devices while taking advantage of the productivity afforded by IP infrastructure.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/vg-series-gateways/product_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

So let me try to understand ... you are telling me the Ata will connected to an IP port of my routeur to "translate" the VOiP into analog line .... so that I can connect my alarm system to it ?

I want to be 100% sure that what goes out of that ata box is exactly the same as an analog line, as I do not want to have troubles with my alarm system "compatibility".

the other "VG" box what does it do ? I do not get the exact difference between both.

Thanks so much.

P.S. I also understand if internet is not there or power failure or whatever I have a risk the Alarm system will not be able to call, but this is a risk I need to measure.

P.S.2 : I saw the ATA122 box was like 60 euros ... I am not sure how much costs a VG box but looking at the documentation (I do not fully understand), it seems to provide much more capabilities than I really need ... ?

Hi,
Something like a VG310 would be located near your main Comms or where all your current analogue lines run back to. With the option of 24 analogue lines (probable more) that can be linked to callmanager.An ATA can have 2 connections, is transportable and would be located closer to the analogue device and then it connects do your nearest switch on your voice VLAN. Obviously it will need a local power source
Both devices will not perform exactly the same as an analogue lines but will simulate it to it's best ability, there are options and "tweaks" that can be done.I've had things like modems that needed to be messed around with to get them working.
If you have the ability to test your fire alarm system then you should be able to get it working through the ATA or VG device.....or £120 per annum for a PSTN line
Good luck.

Pstn is not an option anymore. I will only have VoIP.

I only need 1 output for my alarm system and 1 entry for the VoIP ...

So the VG is quite too much for me I think.

Is the ata "configurable" or is it plug and play and I automatically get standard analog as output ?

If yes where can I the user manual ?

Something which already looks strange to me is : "The Cisco ATA 186 has two voice ports that were designed to support legacy analog touch-tone telephones. Unlike the regular Foreign Exchange Station (FXS) ports, these cannot be interfaced with a PBX as the Cisco ATA 186 cannot send out digits on these ports. Both voice ports can be used simultaneously as long as they are configured with different telephone numbers."

... so it is already not like a 100% analog line, as I think on such lines the digits can be sent (the tones played when you hit numbers ...) ?