cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 ATA - 'Off hook' issue

mcibud001
Level 1
Level 1

On 5/2/16 a lightning strike destroyed our existing modem incorporating VOIP. We replaced the modem with a D-Link DSL-2880AL modem router that did not have VOIP.

So we purchased a Linksys PAP2T-NA analogue telephone adaptor (ATA) and connected our Uniden XDECT 6135 BTU+2 cordless phone system to it. This ATA 'registered' with the VoIP provider but as the ‘Hook State’ remained ‘Off’ there was no dial tone and we were unable to make or receive VoIP calls.

We tried an older cable phone but the ‘Hook State’ still remained ‘Off’. I tested both phones on PSTN - both made outgoing calls satisfactorily. Both phones are set to tone dialling. So the problem appears unrelated to either of the analogue phones.

Suspecting the PAP2T-NA must be faulty we then purchased a Cisco SPA100 ATA. As before this ATA 'registered' with the VoIP provider, but as before the ‘Hook State’ remained ‘Off’. There was still no dial tone and we were unable to make or receive VoIP calls.

So I downloaded X-Lite softphone - it worked without a hitch. But we really would like the cordless phone system up and running again.

For both ATAs, the System and Internet LEDs are solid green.

For both ATAs, the LED for Line 1 flashes green when the telephone cable is plugged in - it turns solid green when the phone cable is removed.

If I disconnect and then reconnect the phone cable to either of the ATAs I get:

•           a continuous tone on the phone for ~ 10 seconds;
  •           which then changes to an intermittent tone for ~ 10 seconds (sounds like an engaged tone);
  •           and finishes with a faster intermittent tone for ~ 10 seconds;
  •           then just silence.

What can we try to alter the ‘Hook State’ to ‘On’ and get a dial tone so that we can make and receive VOIP calls?

0 Replies 0