Views
Helpful
Replies

Total Basics?

monkeymagic75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I came across a Cisco Voip system recently and am interested to know how it works at a basic level if someone would be kind enough to help?

What I mean is, i have looked at free systems which gave me the basics but I'd like to know what the core system is called if there is such a thing (to help my googling). When you configure trunks etc, how do you have to use your telco or can you use voip providers - i.e. what makes it cheap to run a cisco voip when your company is distributed around the world? (I know it uses IP but Cisco is not synonymous with inexpensive...)

I'm aware how totally noobish this is so please dont flame me! This is step one in my research into Cisco Voip. With a bit of a pointer in the right direction I'll go off googling!

Thanks

MM

2 Replies 2

Saurabh Agnihotri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi MM,

Even though this is not the appropriate forum to be asking these questions (which u also acknowledge),  I would try to help you out with certain keywords that will help you explore Cisco VOIP:

CUCM aka Call Manager  : heart of all the Cisco Call Processing

Gateway Protocols like H323, MGCP, SIP and SCCP

Gatekeeper

CUBE

Prefix all your searches with "Cisco" for better results.

Please rate posts that are helpful.

-Saurabh

Hi Saurabh

Perhaps you could direct me to the approriate forum? Basically a business that I maybe asked to do some work on runs a Cisco VOIP system, they don't have an administrator and I'd like to read up on the basics if thats possible or are you saying "google is my friend"?

Thanks

MM