Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 8.5 MCS to 11.5 UCS

Thomas P
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade a CUCM 8.5 on a MCS to a CUCM 11.5 on a UCS.

I already made the upgrade of the CUCM:

• Installed my cluster (1PUB + 1SUB) on the UCS in version 8.5
  • Restored the backup + COP files (locales)
  • Upgraded to version 11.5
  • Installed the COP files (locales + ip phone firmwares)

I have the following migration plan:

• On the current cluster, switch the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre 8.0" to true -> The phones reset
  • On the new cluster, switch the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre 8.0" to true
  • Disconnect from network the old cluster and connect the new one
  • Check if all phones register correctly
  • Switch back the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre 8.0" to false

My question is simple : do I miss something? :)

If some people who have already done this operation can share their feedback it would be great.

Thank you.

Thomas.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unless you're changing something that affects the ITL, there's really no need for the prepare cluster for rollback, specially on the destination cluster, where you do want phones to get ITL.

If you want to use it because you're changing something that affects the ITL, or for your sake of mind, you can do as you say, and disable the setting at the end of your tests so phones get the new ITL.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello Jaime,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to migrate one phone from one cluster to another and I had to erase manually the ITL file for the phone to work.

It's may be due to the fact that I have regenerated the following certifates : Tomcat, CallManager, ipsec, capf?

OK, I found why the ITL file is different. It's because I have regenerated the CallManager certificate:

"The most important certificate is now the CallManager.pem certificate. This certificate's private key is used to sign all TFTP configuration files, including the ITL file.

If the CallManager.pem file is regenerated, a new CCM+TFTP certificate will be generated with a new private key. Additionally the ITL file will now be signed by this new CCM+TFTP key."

Source : https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/68701/communications-manager-security-default-and-itl-operation-and-troubleshooting#ITL_Files_and_Certificates_Present_on_CM

Correct, this would only be transparent if you keep all of the values that are in the certs, if you changed any, or re-generated the certs, then the ITL will change.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate