cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS IPv6 with 4G LTE Subnet Sharing

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

In the coming weeks my LTE carrier (Telstra, AU) is rolling out Dual Stack to data services, of which my C819G has such a SIM card in it.

They will be handing out a single /64 for each service, and it is learned via SLAAC on the Cellular interface.  There is no provision for handing out additional subnets, nor for using DHCPv6 at this stage.

I have done some early testing with another SIM that does have dual-stack enabled, and I am able to receive the IPv6 prefix on the Cellular interface and have connectivity.  This works just fine.

That doesn't however help with regards to clients on the LAN side of this router which I would also like to offer IPv6 connectivity.

If I tether my Android phone instead, this functionality works.  Clients are able to receive IPv6 addresses via the mobile phone.  I believe this uses 64share to do this.

There is an RFC about this - RFC7278 ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7278 )

Can anyone advise how I would configure this functionality on IOS?  I can't find any sample configurations for it - so it's unclear if it is supported or not.

One would think that if my Android and Apple smartphones can do this easily, then an expensive Cisco IOS device would be able to as well...?

5 Replies 5

hhermansen
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem. Did you manage to solve it ?

No.  Cisco came back and advised me that (quote): "The Dev Teams have confirmed us that is feature is not supported, They have also said that there is no current road-map available to introduce this feature."

There is an enhancement bug ID for this, which is: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvc33689

If you would like to see this feature implemented then please log a TAC case referencing the bug ID and request that the TAC engineer link your TAC case to the bug ID.  This will help Cisco understand that there are customers who want to see this feature.

Thank you. This feature works fine on consumer class products such as the Huawei E5786 but this class of routers lack other features I need. I will create a feature request and refer to this bug

That was almost my exact words when I opened the case too.  If my Samsung Galaxy S6 can do 64share as can cheap telco dongle devices, then it is very surprising that my IOS router cannot.

I don't believe this is just a problem with the 800 series though.  It is almost certainly a cross-platform feature that is lacking in IOS across the board on all IOS based routers.

steve255.0
Level 1
Level 1

hi, which IOS did you run? and how did you config ipv6 on cell interface? I got no ipv6 command under cell0 interface, no idea why? Thanks.