Views
Helpful
Replies

Command "ipv6 address dhcp" missing

jschuebe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this place, so please bear with me. As part of my thesis I'm trying to set up a 7200 Router as DHCPv6 client by following the steps shown in this video: 

https://youtu.be/6gdcwvVCPnY?t=9m10s

Up to this point everything worked just fine, but in the tutorial the command "ipv6 address dhcp" is used. The problem is I don't have this option on my router. All I get is:

R4(config-if)#ipv address ?
WORD General prefix name
X:X:X:X::X IPv6 link-local address
X:X:X:X::X/<0-128> IPv6 prefix
autoconfig Obtain address using autoconfiguration

R4(config-if)#

How do I use the command that is used in the video? Do I need another Router for that? Here is my running-config: 

R4(config-if)#do show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 891 bytes
!
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname R4
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
memory-size iomem 5
no ip icmp rate-limit unreachable
ip cef
!
!
!
!
no ip domain lookup
ip auth-proxy max-nodata-conns 3
ip admission max-nodata-conns 3
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
ip tcp synwait-time 5
!
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
ipv6 enable
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
ip forward-protocol nd
!
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
no cdp log mismatch duplex
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
line aux 0
exec-timeout 0 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
line vty 0 4
login
!
!
end

Thanks for helping me out. 

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,
If the command does not appear then it is not supported on the version of IOS you are running. That said, are you running a DHCPv6 server on your network to service these lease requests?

The command 'ipv6 address autoconfig' will only work if you have a device (router) on the local-link to respond to the IPv6 Router Solicitation packets. To do this you'll need a routet on the same local-link with 'ipv6 nd ...' commands configured (eg: ipv6 nd prefix) to send out the RA packets.

But, if this is a router, then you should not be relying on any sort of dynamic address assignment and should really statically assign your IPv6 address.

cheers,
Seb.

Same problem here. I have a dhcp relay and a dhcp server using router c7200 image on Gns3. On the client interface, a router being used as a PC I dont have the option #ipv6 address DHCP. I do have AUTO but that would use slaac right? I am doing Stateful Dhcpv6.

With auto an IPv6 address is bekng obtained but pool statistics on server shows that no ips are in use.  So its working as stateless even with the nd command.  Thanks

Hello

@sciclunam wrote:

Same problem here. I have a dhcp relay and a dhcp server using router c7200 image on Gns3. On the client interface, a router being used as a PC I dont have the option #ipv6 address DHCP. I do have AUTO but that would use slaac right? I am doing Stateful Dhcpv6.

Correct that would be stateless- you'll need to upgrade the ios for it to support stateful addressing, or you could use a mixture of stateless ipv6 addressing via slacc and enable the ND "O" bit on the router interface to advertised the ivp6  stateful scopes dns,domain names etc....

int x/x
ipv6 nd other-config-flag
ipv6 dhcp rely destination x::x/64 <-- if applicable relay to dhcp scope 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card