cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enterprise managability; Router IPs and DNS

gfowler721
Level 1
Level 1

For those of you that allow your router transits to use eui-64, how to you keep track of the IPs in DNS for reverse resolution?

And how do you track needed changes to DNS after an RMA that will cause the eui-64'd interface IPs to change?

2 Replies 2

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gary,

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4472.txt

Section 6.2 and 7. discuss this.

That being said, I'm not the expert on this, just wanted to jump in since I saw this one un-answered.

Marcin

I appreciate the effort, but I don't see where dynamic DNS is supported in cisco IOS for anything other than an interface configured via DHCP.

It would be interesting/helpful if I could configure an interface (static or eui-64) to register itself into DDNS, such as Active Directory DNS.  And if it could be done with some authentication, imagine the labor saving for IP management of infrastructure this would save.

something like

interface gi1/0/1

ipv6 ddns hostname routername-gi1-0-1

ipv6 ddns register forward reverse

ipv6 ddns domain-name infrastructure.company.net <- overrides use of global ip domain command

interface vlan212

ipv6 ddns hostname routername-vlan212

ipv6 ddns domain-name infrastructure.company.net <- overrides use of global ip domain command

interface vlan999

ipv6 ddns hostname corerouter01-vlan999

ipv6 ddns domain-name infrastructure.company.net

standby version 2

standby 999 ipv6 ddns hostname corerouter-vlan999 <- note the slightly different name.  Use interface settings if not present.

standby 999 ipv6 ddns register forward reverse

Just some thoughts.

But to further the conversation, does the community at large consider the use of static IPv6 addresses the best practice for routers/switches?