cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv4 LAN over IPv6 WAN

ryan-davis
Level 1
Level 1

With IPv6 I am most concerned today with receiving an IPv6 address from my ISP for my Spoke networks.  I don't have plans to convert my Spoke LANs  or Internal application servers to IPV6 anytime soon.  Reviewing all the books and technical documentation out there, I don't see discussion about how to get my IPv4 traffic tunneled through the Internet via an IPv6 carrier, a 4to6 tunnel.  Currently I'm running DMVPN which appears to support IPv6 tunnels, Native and 6to4.  Can anyone provide direction or expertise on how to get IPv4 traffic between Enterprise locations with ISPs move to IPv6 addressing?

Thanks..

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ryan,

If this is a question of connecting LAN in different branches.

The decently scalable option is GRE (with DMVPN being the neatest).

On top ASA supports IPv4 in IPv6 IPsec (to other ASAs at this point).

You might have a bit more challanges if you want to provide access to non-intrernal resources, Internet, partner sites without IPv4 on WANs.

M.

Specifically I'm looking to connect IPv4 Branches to an IPv4 Datacenter when the ISP is handing out IPv6 addresses.  The VPN techology used would be DMVPN.

HI,

I am looking for the same solution, but i have IPv4 LAN network and customer does not want to migrate to IPv6 and now ISP is giving them IPv6 link for the internet access.....

How do we solve this ....where its a pure internet access ....

Regards,

Pratik Chheda

Since v4 and v6 can't interoperate, and NAT46 is a really bad idea, your only real option is to dual-stack the customer site, then tunnel the IPv4 traffic over the native IPv6 link.  As this (resurrected) thread indicates, this scenario is well supported by Cisco.

-- Jim Leinweber, WI State Lab of Hygiene

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: