Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 6to4 tunnel on stub router

Hello all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to do 6to4 tunnel on stub router with only single link to a router which connecting to all remote sites?

I'm curious whether it is possible to do this.

Let me know. Thank you very much.

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Only if you want two way traffic.  :-)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alex,

Yes, this is possible. However, the IPv6 6to4 address on this tunnel must be derived from your IPv4 address: 2002:ac1f:fffe::1/128. (172=0xAC, 31=0x1F, 255=0xFF, 254=0xFE).

The configuration would then be straightforward:

ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 cef
!
interface Tunnel0
tunnel mode ipv6ip 6to4
tunnel source 172.31.255.254
ipv6 address 2002:ac1f:fffe::1/128
!
ipv6 route 2002::/16 Tunnel0

I am not including the IPv4 connectivity configuration here as I assume that this connectivity is already up and running.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

This tested if it works

Tks.

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for your reply. The IPv6 addresses are just examples to explain my question. I have tested in our lab and it proves to be working. Just wonder if without the stub router and the IPv6 tunnel is configured on gateway router where the connection to the WAN is via MPLS L3 network provided by our ISP. Would that working? I did posted similar issue in this forum before relating to IPv6 tunnelling via MPLS L3 cloud.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12696916/ipv6-tunnel-issue-mplsipvpn-cloud

Let me know about this.

Regards,

Alex

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes.

You can do something like this to allow the stub router to auto-configure 6to4 and create a pool where Dialer0 is the outside interface with an IPv4 public address:

ipv6 general-prefix 6to4 6to4 Dialer0
ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 cef

interface Tunnel6
ipv6 address 6to4 ::/64 eui-64
tunnel source Dialer0
tunnel mode ipv6ip 6to4
tunnel path-mtu-discovery

interface vlan1

ipv6 address 6to4 ::1:0:0:0:1/64

You can also then DHCPv6 out the other prefixes to downstream routers.

With regard to the routing - I would use EIGRP with LISP encapsulation and OTP.  This will allow full IPv6 routability over the MPLS network, even though the MPLS provider has no IPv6 support.  If you use this for IPv4 as well you can drop BGP peering with the MPLS provider, as they will be doing nothing more than providing transit for you.

Thank you P.dath,

If am not mistaken, tunnel path-mtu-discovery needs to be enable on both sides of the router am I right?

Regards,

Alex

Only if you want two way traffic.  :-)