cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[IPv6] - Need advice on cisco router capacity/specification to support large IPv6 network

Hello experts,

I need some advice about choosing suitable router's specification/model to support large IPv6 network. To date, our company has close to 600 remote sites with a mixture of different connectivity such as VSAT, leased-line, Metro-E and ADSL. All these are under MPLS/L3-VPN network provided by our ISP. Our network is running dual-stack and currently we gradually enabling some selected sites for IPv6 and will proceed with the rest of the sites before end of this year. The question is how do I choose a router that can support large dual-stack network like ours ? What is the criteria or what is your recommendation for me to get a suitable router which not only supports our current network but as well as the future addition of our remote sites? 

Our current main router specification as follow:

Model: Cisco ASR1002

RAM: 4GB

Interface B/W: 500Mbps 

Kindly advice.

Thank you very much

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think you have more than enough hardware (ASR 1002) to manage an IPv6 network with 600 remote sites.  I think you are likely to have oodles of spare capacity.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ASR is a good family.  How much bandwidth have you got coming into your main site from all the remote sites?

Hello Phillip,

Currently we have 500Mbps for almost 600 sites.

Regards,

Alex

What what is the memory utilisation like?

Hi Phillips,

Average 40% based on our monitoring system.

Regards,

Alex

Worst case you might need to upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 8GB - but I doubt it.

Thank you Phillips! Appreciate it! 

Alex

I think you have more than enough hardware (ASR 1002) to manage an IPv6 network with 600 remote sites.  I think you are likely to have oodles of spare capacity.

Hi. 

Btw, is there some sort of guidelines on what product or network devices' specification to be consider when implementing/deploying large dual-stack network similar like our network with 600 remote sites and able to cater close to a thousand remote sites in the future?

If there's any guideline available. I would like to have it.

Alex 

Cisco Press have a book called "Deploying IPv6 Networks" which I think is pretty good.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card