Views
Helpful
Replies

PacketTracer 8.0.0, OSPF and DHCPv6

martinsalamon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i am working on a project and have set up a few networks. One is set up on static IPv6 addresses and the other on a router DHCPv6 prefix delegation where one of the sub-router receives the IPv6 address from  the main router. I have tried to make OSPFv6 work on this router but it doesn't seem to work. But the static IPv6 address router do work. Can OSPF only work on static IP addresses? Kind regards. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @martinsalamon ,

The issue with OSPF is that you are using the same router-id on both edge routers (3.0.0.0). But beyond that it looks like prefix delegation is broken in PT. Even though the user facing interface on the router on the left side receives the delegated prefix, it does not install the /64 in the routing table and the neighbor discovery does not work, so the router can't event ping the PC.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin L
VIP
VIP

OSPFv6 should work, you can look into samples that come with all PT version. it's sort of demo of what you can do in PT (or what PT can do). Samples are under File > open samples and look for Ipv6 examples. 

you can attach PT file here but it must be in zip format. we can then ts your file.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I know OSPF works in Packet Tracer. I just dont know if it will work on routers that have their interface IPv6 addresses allocated by a DHCPv6 server.

The problem is the network on the left. The ISP router is the DHCPv6 server and is allocating the IP addresses to Domac usmerjevalnik and PC-1.

Hi @martinsalamon ,

The issue with OSPF is that you are using the same router-id on both edge routers (3.0.0.0). But beyond that it looks like prefix delegation is broken in PT. Even though the user facing interface on the router on the left side receives the delegated prefix, it does not install the /64 in the routing table and the neighbor discovery does not work, so the router can't event ping the PC.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I cant believe i missed the router-id. Thank you. And yes even after the router-id has been set the ping between PCs still wont work. As you said because of PT. I will try it on live equipment now. Thank you.

looks like ospf router-id is cause of problems. you should have unique router-ids

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card