Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Support on 6PE Solution

atifirfan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We made a small test environment to test the IPv6 VPN'S over IPv4 MPLS Backbone, we deploy the 6PE Solution, we did successfully testing.

The Hardware used in this POC, are as under:

1- Cisco 7606 Routers --> as a PE --> ES20 Module --> GigEthernet Module

2- ASR 1006 Routers --> as a CE.

I need to know the QOS Support on 6PE Solution. I need to know that if I do marking on CE on COS, IP Precedence or DSCP Values then how it will treated in MPLS Core because I am marking based on IPv6 Addresses and these VPN'S Traffic carried by IPv4 MP-BGP accross the other PE. How it is works?

Support is required in this regards..

It is highly appreciated upon urgent replies.

Regards,

Atif Irfan...

4 Replies 4

Salman Asadullah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Atif,

I see you are mixing terms. You are talking about IPv6 VPNs and calling it 6PE. In 6PE, there are _no_ VPNs. The correct term for BGP MPLS IPv6 VPN over v4-signalled tunnel is 6VPE.

I would like you to review the following 6PE and 6VPE papers for deeper understanding:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_data_sheet09186a008052edd3.html

When deploying QoS in MPLS core, it is not expected to make it aware of network layer protocol (ex; IPv4 or IPv6) or of the application being carried. To enable QoS for 6PE or 6VPE, IPv6 traffic must be classified and conditioned (mark, shap, police) similar to IPv4, before entering the MPLS backbone.
Regards,
Salman

Dear Mr. Salman,

Thanks for your support.

I did not find any particular example on QOS over 6VPE solution. if you have any example configuration, then please let me know or any document related then please send it to me. it is highly appreciated.

Sorry, for being wrong typo mistake during my question that i would like to write 6VPE instead of 6PE.

I need a soluton on 6VPE solution.

On the basis of my scenario, i would to like to know that our QOS marking over the IPv6 Addresses is still workable solution on
IPv4 MPLS Core (6VPE) solution, it is also copied on EXP Bit on MPLS Label ??

Regards,

Atif Irfan...

Hi Atif,

Not sure if you got your answer. But yes, Qos marking will work as it does with IPv4. On ingress side, PE will set MPLS EXP bit based on the Traffic Class value in IPv6 header and will send across. On core till egress, packet treatement will be based on the MPLS EXP bit.

HTH,

Nagendra

Hi Atif,

Yes, this will work.

One remark: if you want to match the DSCP value of IPv6 traffic, use "match dscp xxx" instead of "match ip dscp xxx".

"match ip prec" is for matching ipv4 traffic
"match prec" is for both ipv4 and ipv6 traffic

Thanks,

Luc