Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syntax For Cisco IOS IPv6 Server IP Client Reservation - Manual Binding

Hello!

I am making the transition to IPv6. With the IPv4 DHCP server running on my 7206VXR router running the Advanced Enterprise Services

15.2(4)M3 IOS, I use the manual binding of IP addresses so that a client will get the proper address when I have to reimage client computers.

I can easilly setup a manual binding by using the MAC address for the client to get its reserved IP. I have been reading a lot of documentation on the Cisco IPv6 DHCP server, but for the life of me, I cannot locate any information on how to setup a manual IPv6 ip address binding for the Cisco IPv6 DHCP server. I am stumped. What is the syntax for the Cisco IPv6 server to accomplish this?

Many thanks,

Richard H. Shores

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

The last time I checked, this feature was still not supported.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Richard,

Reading through the documentation the server IPv6 address will be what ever has been assigned to the interface which the DHCPv6 pool is running on:

interface Ethernet0/0

description downlink to clients

ipv6 address FEC0:240:104:2001::139/64

ipv6 dhcp server dhcp-pool

!

...so in the above example from the documentation the site-local address FEC0:240:104:2001::139/64 .

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb for the information but what I was looking for was a static binding of a client's IP, like that in IPv4 DHCP.

Best regards

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

The last time I checked, this feature was still not supported.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks Harold for the information. That would explain why it is not  in any documentation. That is a show stopper when you have lots of  computers that need a static IP for imaging. Perhaps that will be an  added feature fairly soon.

Best regards

There are theoretical obstacles too. DHCPv6 is different from DHCPv4. The lease can be provided based on the DUID and IAID and not the MAC address. The DUID varies time-dependently on the client by default.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card