Replies

Testing IPv6 Using Video Conference On Top Of IPv4

wanmohdhafiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

Refer diagram for details.

VC-IPv6-.jpeg

My planning is to use VC2 (video conference 2) to communicate with VC1 using IPv6. Current network is using IPv4. Questions :
- What is the best method? Dual stack / tunnelling / translation?
- Do i have to configure start from access , distribution, core, firewall & router?

Please advice.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The simplest method may be to implement dual stack across your network.

With this method you don't need to tune any firewall rules on your ASA to allow inbound and outbound IPv6 tunnels.

NAT64 may present some challenges if you need a particular version of IOS in order to support this feature.

See below a paper on how to implement dual stack across your network:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6553/at_a_glance_c45-625859.pdf

Don't forget to rate all posts that are helpful.

View solution in original post

To add to Sean's post.

In order of my personal preference.

- Dual stack

- tunneling

- translation

If for whatever reason you're not able to use dual stack tunneling (GRE, IPv6 in IP...) would be the best way - but does not test your network IPv6 end to end.

However I would highly douscourage use of host based dynamic tunneling (ISATAP, 6to4, teredo).

Translation mechanisms are evil! NAT-PT, NAT64 alike, same way NAT is/was evil.

Start from core of your network descending into access, it will help you avoid anything unwelcome originating from access devices sending IPv6 traffic when it cannot be routed.

M.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The simplest method may be to implement dual stack across your network.

With this method you don't need to tune any firewall rules on your ASA to allow inbound and outbound IPv6 tunnels.

NAT64 may present some challenges if you need a particular version of IOS in order to support this feature.

See below a paper on how to implement dual stack across your network:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6553/at_a_glance_c45-625859.pdf

Don't forget to rate all posts that are helpful.

To add to Sean's post.

In order of my personal preference.

- Dual stack

- tunneling

- translation

If for whatever reason you're not able to use dual stack tunneling (GRE, IPv6 in IP...) would be the best way - but does not test your network IPv6 end to end.

However I would highly douscourage use of host based dynamic tunneling (ISATAP, 6to4, teredo).

Translation mechanisms are evil! NAT-PT, NAT64 alike, same way NAT is/was evil.

Start from core of your network descending into access, it will help you avoid anything unwelcome originating from access devices sending IPv6 traffic when it cannot be routed.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: